Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apetty18 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Felony probation violation (first offense)
    My boyfriend was arrested vop on a felony charge Friday. It was his first violation. He had smoked marij and told his officer as he was being asked for a urine sample. She did not allow him to pee even though he wanted to. She wrote that he refused his test which isn't really true. He just warned her before hand and then wasn't allowed. Is this a true violation if he wasn't allowed to pee. Also, he was held without bond. Can an attorney at this point help him bond out (his hearing is 7 weeks away and was due to start a great new job next week) or is there stiff penalties to vop on a felony charge? What can I expect at this hearing? Will they reinstate the original 5 year sentence or is there a possibility that they might "smack him on the hand?" Should I be optimistic or throw in the towel?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Hello a:

You can hire an attorney for the hearing. That would be GOOD. But he's not going to be given bail. There's no way I could tell you what will happen. You should hope for the best, but expect the worst.

excon

Nov 6, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Yeah but what about original sentence of max 5 years? Can he get that on his first violation when EVERYTHING else has been done (classes, restitution, community serice)?
    Diesel101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Hire a good lawer, more than likely he may be reinstated along with going to some out patient treatment program, other wise he's more than likely looking at state time

Nov 19, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Okay, we hired a good attorney so here is another question. Why is he sitting in jail for 45 days on this VOP. Eleven guys were taken to court this morning for the same type of VOP (some even picked up new charges). They were all violated the same day as my boyfriend- 3 were VOP after him yet they are already having their hearings. 6 of them are assigned to the same judge as my boyfriend so you can't say it is the court docket. Why does he have to wait another month for his hearing? I thought hiring this private attorney could help speed things up!! Any suggestions as to why he is being held so long when everyone else seems to be getting out?
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Hello again, a:

I have no idea, but if you have an attorney HE'S the one to ask.

excon

Nov 19, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Haven't been able to get him on the phone in a week! His assistant continues to tell me "He's in court today- try back later" Well, bull! I spent $4000 on him and I want some answers as to why he must sit there another month. Do I have the right to push this attorney or will that just make him agitated and ruin my boyfriend's case?
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Hello again:

I don't know if I'd use the term "push". I like manage better. When you have people working for you, you don't PUSH them, do you? I mean, if you had a gardener who wasn't blowing your leaves right, you'd MANAGE him, wouldn't you? Otherwise he'd tell you to ****.

That's what you need to do with this lawyer. Returning phone calls ISN'T something they do very well - NONE of them. That doesn't mean he isn't a good lawyer. It just means his office skills suck. But, you didn't hire him for his office skills anyway.

Ok, HIS skills suck. How are yours? If phone calls aren't working, send an email, leave a DETAILED message with his secretary, go to his office, go to court. DO something different to get the job done. Don't blame the lawyer. He's just being a lawyer. YOU go manage him and get your money's worth.

excon

Nov 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Thanks Excon! I have never been through any of this before and you seem to be the only one out there that has given me any kind of a clue as to what to do. Thanks for the encouragement but most of all your honesty! I may have more questions at a later time. Thanks again!
    melissamae4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 07:32 AM
    What happened with your mans case?? I am going through the same thing right now with my fiancé...
    ahurtingfiance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
    My bofriend is on 3 years felony probtion, never failed a drug test, has a job and has kepy up on his child support a few months ago he got caught selling weed to an undercover so he snitched on someone ( I know it wasent the right thing) earlier this week they came and arrested him on 3 felony 5s trafficking, this is also his first probation violation in a year he has a year suspended from last November when he was sentenced he did 6 months in county jail November to April and is currently on probation as of right now what's going to happened to him? Do you think they will be leinent because he helped the prosecution? I need awnsers I'm going crazy here and this sucks!
    Uber Member

May 21, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahurtingfiance View Post
    do you think they will be leinent because he helped the prosecution?
    Hello a:

No. He should have made a deal BEFORE he snitched.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of deferred adjudification of a felony [ 6 Answers ]

How much time would you have to serve if you were on deferred adjudificaton of a felony and you had gotten a felony and misdemeanor in the mean time?

Felony Probation Violation [ 3 Answers ]

If you are on felony probation and you get arrested for a DUI what are the consaquense's?

Felony probation violation [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend got arrested today for driving while license revoked and he is already on felony probation. What will happen to him?

Violation of Probation for DUI 2nd offense [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all~ My ex-boyfriend currently violated his probation regarding his 2nd DUI and spent 30 days in jail. The terms of his probation when he had his hearing on 04/25/07 was not to drink and was scheduled to go into a two week rehab facility. I was not with him, so his story I am guessing is...

Felony probation violation [ 1 Answers ]

HI my boyfriend is incarcerated on two charges but when he went to court today the DA refused to prosecute however instead of being released he has a court date set for tomorrow for felony probation violation what I don't understand is how they can violate him if the charges he was incarcerated for...

View more questions Search