Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamiew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:10 AM
    Excessive Saliva When I Wake Up
    :confused:

Some morning I am forced to wake up at 4:30- 5:00 in the morning because I have such an excessive amount of saliva I can't sleep. I can not continuously swallow it because not only will I be swallowing every second, I will also feel the build-up of saliva in my stomach. I often spend the next 5 hours spitting continuosly, into a cup until ieventually, the amount of saliva flow sarts to slow down.

This occurs on completely random days (sometimes a week or 2 between occurrences, sometimes month between occurrences, and this time it hasn't happened in about 10 months)

Do any of you know how I can overcome this?

Perhaps there's a medication I can take on the morning I have this to stop the flow of excessive saliva?
    evavonpoulton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiew
    :confused:

Some morning I am forced to wake up at 4:30- 5:00 in the morning because I have such an excessive amount of saliva I can't sleep. I can not continuously swallow it because not only will I be swallowing every second, I will also feel the build-up of saliva in my stomach. I often spend the next 5 hours spitting continuosly, into a cup until ieventually, the amount of saliva flow sarts to slow down.

This occurs on completely random days (sometimes a week or 2 between occurances, sometimes month between occurances, and this time it hasn't happend in about 10 months)

Do any of you know how i can overcome this?

Perhaps theres a medication I can take on the morning I have this to stop the flow of excessive saliva??
    I have a patient who gets his one of his salivary glands Botoxed every three months. It significantly reduces the amount of saliva he produces. Not sure if this would be a drastic fix for your situation. You may also want to pay attention to what you eat the night before. Perhaps you have reflux when laying down at night?
    livetolive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Even I have the problem which somebody have suggested me recently due to some worm manifestation in gut. If u too have altered appetite and other problems related to nutrition and stomach, it may be the case
    brummimatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Hi There,

I have this exact problem also! So pleased to find someone with similar symptoms. I have had this for around 11 years now. It tends to happen in the mid morning as you said and the hyper salivation goes on for a number of hours. To the extent that I am sick due to the build up in my stomach and also my jaw aches very badly. The other symptoms include heightened gag reflex, difficulty swallowing, sensitive tongue and lack of taste.

I to have the problems at seemingly random intervals but I have think it is an allergic reaction to something. I have a thought it is either strong alcohol or smoking. Do you drink much or smoke? To be honest I don't know if this is true though because I would have known by now as most of the time I don't react to these things?

To be honest I;m at a total loss and would love to hear any thoughts on it

Regards

Matt
    stephen23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 06:50 PM
    I have this problem also but what I do is brush my teeth an drink some juic or something wit a little flavour and it stops!
    obietrice21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 03:09 AM
    U should stop eating spicy, sour and foods that produces lots of acid. Your body is trying to produce enough saliver to dilute the acid. I have the same problem too but I wake up throwing up the whole day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 1 1/2 yr old daughter has horrible smelling breath and saliva help [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a 1 1/2 year old and I'm having a problem with her breath. It smells so awful I brush her teeth several times a day and within 5 min her breath and saliva smells again. I have to constantly change her bed sheets and clothes several times a day because if I don't a horrible...

Saliva smell [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriends mouth always smells of saliva. He doesn't have bad breath but I just can't stand the smell of saliva. It really bothers me.When I wake up in the morning I have to go take a quick shower because I'm smelling of his saliva. Is there anything I can do so I don't smell saliva or to...

Saliva problem [ 8 Answers ]

I have a saliva problem about two or three times a month for about 8 months now. It wakes me up if I accidentally swallowed some or when it is too much in my mouth during sleeping, It tastes bad and I couldn't go back to sleep until several hours passes by. I had some lumps behind my left ear...

Limit Wake [ 1 Answers ]

What should I look for in a boat design that limits wake?

Saliva [ 3 Answers ]

This is an old problem and one I forgot to ask my dentist about just recently: A few years ago my old dentist said I had higher levels of calculus (calcium?) in my saliva than usual. I have no probs with my teeth at all, I'm lucky, no fillings, no more tartar than usual, but lots of calculus. I...

View more questions Search