Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5150frank2407 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 08:00 AM
    How to Wire Two Light Switches With 2 lights with One Power Supply diagram
    I want to wire 1 way switch, 1 dimmer switch with 2 individual lights from one powe source.
    Thank, frank
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 08:31 AM

OK. Where is the power coming to, the lights or the switch?
    wufwuf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 03:44 PM
    The switches

Aug 24, 2010, 04:03 PM

Is the wiring in place or will you be installing cable?

If wiring is in place connect the white of the incoming power to the two whites going to the lights. Connect two pig tails (a pig tail is a short piece of wire) to the black of the incoming power with a wire nut. Connect the pig tails to the two switches. Connect the black going to one light to one of the switch, Connect the black going to the other light to the other switch.
    Attached Images

LSA22222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 06:29 AM
    How to Wire Two Light Switches With 2 lights with One Power Supply diagram
    ktchance Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
    What do you do with the grounds?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2012, 07:20 AM
    All grounds are to be spliced together, and there should be a short "pigtail" that connects to any green screw on the switches, and to the outlet box if metal.
    ktchance Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
    Perfect. Funny thing, I had already put all grounds together and buttoned up the box, but had not included the pigtails, so I took back apart, fixed it, and re taped the outlets and it is just perfect now.
    Thank you
    cdnfullmoon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
    I have the same set-up, but the power is coming into the first light. It is working just fine with the switch. I would like to install a second light, on a second switch and tap into the same power. Can someone please explain (a diagram would be really helpful). Thanks.

Jul 3, 2012, 10:14 PM
    Attached Images

Jul 4, 2012, 12:04 AM
    Thank you, Harold. If I am understanding your drawing correctly (and please forgive me as I am a novice, but willing to learn), then I need to replace the current 14/2 line with a 14/3 line from the powered light to the switch and use the red line to carry the power to the second light as well as pigtailing the grounds for the 2 switches. Is that correct?

I very much appreciate your time in making a clear drawing.

I am renovating parts of my house and the wiring is a bit complex. If you're interested, I can write you a mini-novel about what I've found and the thing I termed "The Everything Switch" (which is what one of these new light switches has taken the space of). My next electrical project will be restoring the power to the front half of my house... I am currently running 6 extension cords!

Jul 4, 2012, 03:40 AM
    That is correct. The white of the 3-wire takes power to the switch, the black (or the red) takes power back to one light, The red (or black) takes power to the other, through the first ceiling box. Redesiginate the white to the switch as a hot by coloring each end of it black with a felt tip marker.

I don't show ground wires because they are not part of the circuitry and would make the drawings too messy. I assume every one knows that all grounds get connected together and to all fixtures and metal boxes.

Jul 4, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Harold, in my excitement to get my lights back, I think I read your diagram wrong. The power coming in is 2-wire, but then I need to use 3-wire from the light to the switch and jump the power from the red to the second light as well as the second switch. I am going to print that out and take it into the attic with me (when the temps go below the 100s!).

Thanks for your help and patience.
    ledergoster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Similar to cdnfullmoon, I have a switch that is end of run that controls outlet power in a bedroom. I want to add a second switch that gets power from the first to power a ceiling fan. I'm not sure that I can easily run a line from the switched outlet to the fan to using the wiring diagram posted by hkstroud.

Any other options?

Jul 9, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Sorry but you must get a cable from the outlet to the ceiling or from the switch to the ceiling , no other way.
    Larry Hartman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
    I'm going to have my attic roof fan, & 6 double fluorescent lights in my garage. I am go to install a 20 amp circuit with 12gauge romex out of the panal. What would be the best way to wire them if I want the switchs in the same box beside each other ?
    Thank You
    Larry Hartman

Sep 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
    What is amperage draw of fan?
    Attached Images

KPP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2012, 06:05 AM
    OK, but if the power is in as shown in the first drawing and the wiring from the switch to the lights are as the second drawing. How will the connections be then?
    A diagram would be most helpful.
    Thanks!

Nov 21, 2012, 08:48 AM
    To many questions have been tacked on to this thread. I don't understand what your question is. Start a new thread and tell us what you are trying to do.

Click on Electrical and Lighting topic, then click on "Ask a Question about Electrical and Lighting".
    hattboytim Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2013, 10:12 AM
    I have wiring in place for 2 switches, 2 lights with 1 power source going to one of the lights and a wire going from one light to the other. Each switch has wires going to their own light. How do I connect to have each light working on its own switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power and 12-2 to lights [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power wire source and 12-2 to between the 6 lights and then using 12-2 witing to the single pole switch?--need your help please

How to wire 2 switches on one power line [ 3 Answers ]

I have one 12/2 wire coming into a box. It is on a 20 amp circuit. I have 4 recessed lights that I want to run off one dimmer switch and another light I want to run off another dimmer switch all in the same box. Can I attach 2 blacks to the first switch and then with the extra black, run that to...

3way switches and a ceiling fan wire diagram [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a light fixture ( for my wife) that has 3 way switches, with a ceiling fan ( with a light). The way the light fixture is wired is both black leads from the switches are wire nutted together and the 2 white wires are wired to the fixture. Do I just wire the ceiling fan in...

How to wire/combine 4 single switches in one box for 4 lights [ 13 Answers ]

I want to wire 4 fluorescent lights separately on single switches but want to put the switches in one blue box. Other words, I want to be able to turn on one light at a time, or turn on 3 different lights at a time. How do I run the wires in the switch box? Do I pigtail all of the switches? The...

Getting power to lights and switches, but they won't come on [ 6 Answers ]

Lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on. Worked but I lost power in the laundry room shortly after. I replaced the breaker and bought a volt reader and I'm getting power to every breaker. I checked every outlet and even the ones that won't work are getting power to...

View more questions Search