Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcgibson1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2011, 11:48 AM
    I was given a "Failure To Yield Ticket" but I was not at fault, how do I fight it?
    I was recently in a small car accident which I received a failure to yield ticket. I was at 2-way stop, I had been stopped for quite a while, (with my blinker on to turn left,) waiting on my turn as well as traffic to go by.

When it was my turn, a car had just pulled up to the other side waiting to go as well. When I decided it was clear, and I could proceed, the other car decided it could go shortly after I did which caused her to T-bone me.

The cop wrote me a ticket for "Failure to Yield", he said he was doing this because he was not aware of the exact rules at a stop sign, and he had to give somebody a violation. He said he would more than likely drop the ticket once he got to the office.

Turns out he did not drop the ticket, so I will be taking it to court. Do you have any suggestions on how to fight this or should I just pay the ticket and go on?

My pick-up has about $5,000 dollars worth of damage, and, this is my first ticket, so I'm not real sure what to expect or do!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 11, 2011, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgibson1 View Post
    ... The cop wrote me a ticket for Failure to Yield, he said he was doing this because he was not aware of the exact rules at a stop sign and he had to give somebody a violation. ...
    Funny. :p
    Looks like the cop is a bit green behind the ears. An experienced cop would never admit ignorance about the rules of the road.

What is it about the accident that made him think you might not be guilty of failure to yield?

... Turns out he did not drop the ticket so I will be taking it to court. ...
    He said he would more than likely drop the ticket once he got to the office. After doing his homework, he must have determined you were at fault.

... Do you have any suggestions on how to fight this or should I just pay the ticket and go on? My pick-up has about $5,000 dollars worth of damage done to it as well as this is my first ticket to receive so I'm not real sure what to expect or do!
    Depends on the amount of the fine, and whether that and the increased insurance premium are worth the trouble of fighting it.

In many places, the investigation officer prosecutes traffic offenses. I assume he didn't actually see the accident? Did you make a statement? If he didn't see it, and if you didn't incriminate yourself, it's possible that he will have no witnesses, and no evidence, of the violation. If that's the case, don't say anything until the prosecution closes it's case. At that point, move to dismiss. Again do not testify if he fails to prove his case.

I'm not sure why you have said how much damage your vehicle sustained. That's immaterial, as far as the traffic offense is concerned, although I suppose restitution (to the other party or their insurance carrier) might be ordered. If you have collision coverage, your damage may be covered, less deductable. Assuming there was damage to the other vehicle, have you notified your insurance company?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
    The other car was going straight? If so, then they had the right of way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to yield ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I was involued in a car accident a little less than a month ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at work and preceded to pull out the building where there is incoming traffic. There is two lanes going west and two going east. I stopped looked to my left seen no cars. Looked to my right seen...

Failure to yield ticket question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I got a failure to yield ticket yesterday and I don't know whether to fight it or not so I was wondering if someone could help me out. Basically I was trying to make a left at an intersection on to a somewhat busy road and couldn't really see because there was a parked car somewhat blocking my...

How do I fight a failure to yield ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident this weekend and I think I'm innocent. I pulled up to a stop sign- checked traffic in both directions- saw nothing and proceeded through the intersection. Half way through, a fast moving car came into the intersection. I gassed it to get through asap but the girl...

Can I fight a failure to yield ticket in Arizona? [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a car accident and was given a failure to yield ticket even though the other car ran a red light. Any way to fight this? Here is what happened... I was waiting in the intersetion for traffic to clear to make a left turn. The light went from green to yellow to red. The intersection...

Failure to yield. Would you fight this ticket? [ 9 Answers ]

A few days ago I was issued a ticket for Failing to Yield, which resulted in an accident. I was pulling left out of a private drive, onto a road with 2 north bound lanes, 2 south bound lanes, and a turning lane. When I approached the end of the driveway an extended bus pulled up to turn down the...

View more questions Search