Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mividafantastica Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Not filed taxes for over 10 years, now what?
    My friend has not filed a tax return for over 10 years. How should she approach her state and the IRS if she now wants to file and rectify the situation? Will she be penalized?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Have her gather all her tax info up... i.e. W-2's, 1099's, etc for those unfiled 10 years and then have your friend go to a tax preparer as the older forms are not readily available and they will be able to help her recreate the forms using the appropriate schedules. In some cases if your friend had money coming to her via a tax refund, then no, no penalities will be assessed. But if she owed them money, then possibly penalties will be assessed against her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 06:38 PM
    She as noted will just take all her info to a tax perparer and have them do her taxes and file them.
    Remember depending on her income, if she is under the limit there is no requirement to file.

If she has money coming back there should be no problem, if she owes money they will work out a payment plan with her.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Further note: ANY refund (state or federal) from 2003 or earlier has, by law, been forfeited.

However, your friend STILL has to file the earlier tax returns if she had a legal requirement to file, as the IRS will hold her 2004 through 2006 tax refunds until those returns are filed.

Finally, she should expect to pay the tax preparer a fee in the $1,000 range to prepare these ten years worth of returns.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
    The lesson learned here is don't mess with Mother IRS.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Only too true!
    areamike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 05:23 PM
    I have not filed taxes in over 10 years.. I have had the IRS send me nasty letters multiple times to which I send a letter asking 5 questions. They fail to answer any of the questions.. question one is what law requires me to file tax returns.. question 2. what law requires me to pay a tax based on my income. Question 3. please produce your power of authority over me as a private corporation.. the IRS is a private corp by the way and not a Govt. entity.. you will find them in the white pages of the phone book, not the blue federal organizations page.. you will have to find out questions 4 and 5 for yourself.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
    To Original Poster:

Do NOT follow AreaMike's advice!! Protesters such as him will eventually be dealt with rather severely by the IRS; it only a matter of time.

As for your friend, it is likely, if he/she worked in a W-2 job, that enough money was withheld to cover his tax liabilites and his/her failing to file only denied him/her tax refunds.

To get caught up, he/she must file for tax year 2004 to 2010. He/she can recover refunds for 2008, 2009 and 2010, but for 2007 and earlier, the refunds have been forfeited. This applies to the state tax returns as well.

If your friend needs professional help, have him email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if I haven't filed taxes in a few years? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering what is the procedure if I haven't filed taxes in a few years. I was planning on filing this year but what will happen if I never filed in the years previous? I have worked the whole time just never got around to doing it. So what am I up against? Is there going to be a problem....

Small Business not filed taxes in 2 years [ 5 Answers ]

I am the secretary of a small business. The owner has been having great dificulities with the accountants over the past two years and as a result has not filed taxes since 2005. The accountant we were just using dropped us due to the inability to obtain the necessary information to prepare the...

SS Disabililty Benefits-Tax Returns Not Filed In Recent Years [ 1 Answers ]

I have friend who has inoperable cancer and there are no treatment options that will offer a cure. He has been self-employed for quite a number of years and is presently only working part-time. He has paid into Social Security over past years and has enough credits to receive disability benefits,...

Never filed taxes [ 1 Answers ]

??

Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR for the past 5 years! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 status (Indian Citizen), I was recently made aware that I have been filing the wrong tax form for the past 5 years(1040 instead of 1040NR). The following are the tax forms that I have filed out over the past 5 years and the tax summary 2001: 1040A Gross Income: $1398.00...

View more questions Search