Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guyc0ffee007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Best method for winning the lottery

What method of playing the lottery has the best chance of winning, by letting the computer select the numbers or by the Player selecting the numbers?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Neither has been proven to be any more effective if the number draw is truly random.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 18, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Selct the numbers yourself and choose a sequence that is uncommon - a lot of people choose the ages of their children for example, so if those numbers come up, the winnings are split between a lot of people.

There is, however, no sequence that is more or less likely than any other.. on the other hand, mathmeticians would freak out if numbers like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 came up every week!
    Personally, I believe there is something a little more mysterious about it than random numbers. :)

But while I'm on the subject of gambling... DON'T! (except for an occasional lottery ticket maybe). Even the most ruthless and successful card-sharks in the world all end up in the gutter. There are no happy gamblers.
    jack jackson Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Feb 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
    I have actually studied this subject in detail by using a deck of cards to represent the numbers [ace of clubs for #1]10 of clubs #10[ace of diamonds#11]10 of diamonds#20etc... or even 52 cards for 52 numbers however you want to devise it. At the time I was using 30 cards to symbol 30 numbers. First you must realize that drawing 5 cards from a 52 card deck are the same odds of drawing 5 numbers from a 52 number lotto grid.etc... now here's the kicker we know that if we draw 4 black cards from a deck, odds are highly favorable that the next card will be red 4:1 ratio, furthermore if the first three were black chances are the next two will be red 3:2 ratio this should happen 66.6% of the time.the same effect applies with odd and even#'s now imagine that the first 1-26#'s were black and the last 27-52#'s were red you'll get a ratio of 3:2 66.6% of the time, so then it should be true that 2#'s should be odd and 2#'s should be even /and 2#'s should be between1-26 and 2#'s should be between27-52.so here's what you do,/ pick one odd#, one even#1-26 / and one odd#,one even#27-52/ [4] now just toss in the last ball anywhere don't matter, the numbers will fall in this pattern 50% of the time[try this for yourself] quite intriguing, now play 4 grids at one time and DO NOT use the same number twice. You'll be amazed just how close you come. This system does not work on pick3 or pick4 because of dependent trial process. For best results the lower the lotto number grid the more effective this will be. And if you play with 6 numbers aplly your numbers in the same manner. Well I hope that answers your question and just in case good luck. Please note: these are my own theories and SHOULD NOT be taken literally.nevertheless I find it fun and exciting for the spirit.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Jack, "grouping" like that is where a lot of statistical baloney comes in. 5 even numbers is more unlikely than 3 odds and 2 evens, but WE Don't CARE ABOUT ODDS AND EVENS, we care about our specific numbers, and every number, on each number drawn, has the same probability.

How about if we took the numbers and replaced each number with a unique symbol. Nothing has changed about the balls and they should draw in the same way, yet your odds and evens theory now has no basis.

The only strategy to win the lottery is to buy more tickets, but the expectation value is always less than the cost of the ticket. Otherwise how do they make money? :)
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
    The best method for winning is wait until you are struck by lightening at least once before playing! :D
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Lol what?
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
    If you buy 7 million lottery tickets in the U.K. lottery costing £1.00 GBP each, you have a 50% chance of winning approximately £3 - £4 million GBP, but you would be at least £3 million pounds down from taking this risk even if you won.. LOL

There is no best combination, each sequence has just as much chance.

i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6 in the U.K draw has just as much chance as for example: 10,12,24,33,47,49 in a 49 number draw.

Buying more tickets increases the chance but as I wrote above, you better be in for a loss if you put that kind of money into it.

Perhaps the best suggestion I can give is to work out how much you would spend in your remaining lifetime on lottery tickets.

So in U.K terms, if you are aged 25 and you expect to buy 1 lottery ticket costing £1.00 each for 52 weeks in the year, that is £52.00 GBP, and you expect to keep playing the lottery for another 40 years approximately.

So, multiply £52.00 by 40 years which is £2080.00GBP.

So put £2080.00GBP on one draw for 1 week if you can afford to do it and that will increase your chances fractionally of winning. And never ever play again.

Thing is, you'll probably still lose anyway.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
    The sure way to win is to buy every ticket!

I saw a show on A&E where a group of people spent about 20 million buying a ticet with every possible number combination and won about 200 million.

No chance of losing!
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
    This is a little bit of topic but if u like to gambel try playing poker, I think the "odds" for winning money are the highest.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Poker requires skill, not just luck.

Mar 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
    My point exactly. But still there is a concept of luck involved. U can play your cards that the odds will be in your favour almost all of the time but at the end u ll have a - net flow due to luck. U play poker capuchin?
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Yes I do,

Mar 25, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Thought so, before I even opened this topic. You seem like a guy for this, maths and so on.
    Well I hope you are sweeping the competition. :)
    Two monkeys that gamble. Lol
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Somebody told me once..

"you make your own luck in life"
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Exactly Geoff, it's like Karma, you make it :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 06:53 AM
    I once had a fortune teller plot numbers for me and she swore that 75% of the numbers would result in wins. Not even one of the series she gave me won a nickel.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 08:59 AM
    You can't beat statistics shy! :D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Hello guy:

Letting the computer select, of course. You DO KNOW that the computer IS connected to the lottery headquarters. Therefore, the computer knows what numbers are going to come up. When you buy your ticket, the computer has a camera, a voice stress analyzer and face recognition technology. The computer then decides, based upon your high school record, who should win.

Did you do well in Algebra 101?

excon
    jack jackson Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Apr 13, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Im just curious, that if you were to roll six dice, wouldn't your chance of getting six of a kind on the first roll be the same as getting a straight on te first roll [1,2,3,4,5,6]. Interestingly enough however, if you've ever played the game 10,000 you'll notice that you'll roll far many more straights than you'll ever roll six of kind on the first roll, if ever at all. Not that I believe this, but it's almost as if numbers have a mind of their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Euro Lottery [ 22 Answers ]

Wow apparently I just won a lump sum pay out of 1.000.000.00 Euro.(One Million Euro):D Anyone care for a vacation on me!? LMAO!! Okay, who wants what? I'm buying!! :p

Scratch off lottery tickets [ 10 Answers ]

I started playing scratch off lottery tickets about two years ago an now I'm addicted. Sometimes I spend 100 dollars a day thinking I'm going to eventually hit that one big ticket. How do you cure this problem . I can't walk past a ticket machine without buying at least one. Let me correct that....

Neighbors are winning. Help me! [ 19 Answers ]

:( Please help. I'm at wits end. So bad it's effecting my marriage and motherhood. I am ready to go somewhere but nowhere to go... Recently moved into a newly built house on acreage(another story but nothing good). Neighbor allowed their dogs to run, cornered husband in port-a-potty during...

The Lottery Ticket [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone written a personal study on this short story by Anton Chekhov:)

Diversity Lottery For Cubans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Could anybody tell me if Cubans living in Cuba can apply to the Diversity Lottery? I know that there used to be a lottery only for cubans but that stopped a few years ago. Could a Cuban apply to the Diversity Lottery, even if he is living in Cuba? I read the instructions for the diversity...

View more questions Search