Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahay19 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
    How do I stop being so jealous of pretty girls?
    So I always compare myself to the popular girls in my school, I look at them and then in the mirror, and I think of all the things that make them so much better looking than me and I feel really ugly and sad. I also cut off my hair and regret it a lot, which makes me feel 100000000 x more ugly. I have a boyfriend who tells me I am beautiful and I believe him but I also believe everyone is, in their own way. I just wish I was pretty. That is different from beautiful, if you know what I'm saying?
    & some days I look in the mirror and think, hey I'm not that bad , I'm sort of pretty. But then the next day I look and think that I am not much to look at and I will go on fb and see pictures of super gorgeous girls and feel ugly all over again. Please don't tell me looks doesn't matter its what's on the inside, I already know that. But I get jealous of all these girls who are nice PLUS super duper gorgeous. It isn't fair that they get to go through life with their perfect skinny curvy bodies and perfect long hair and perfectly pretty faces, and here I am looking gross as anything. Help please? Any attempt to help is appreciated a lot, thanks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 2, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Wait - you have a boyfriend?? How does he feel knowing you have so low an opinion of yourself? Part of the relationship is appreciating him appreciating you. Keep up the low self esteem and he will get discouraged. (I went through something similar with my husband, even much older than you.)

Let me tell you two stories.
    I was walking down a crowded city street on a summer day, complaining to a friend about all the beautiful girls and women around me. The most handsome guy in the world in front of me turned around and gave me a HUGE smile.
    I was with a bunch of friends (years earlier) complaining about being plain and unattractive. One of the guys, who was always very honest and direct, said 'But if you were sexy and pretty, you wouldn't hang out with us!'

Work on it, for your sake and your boyfriend's sake. But mainly yours. Need more? Find the girl in school who is considered to be REALLY the most unattractive, and be nice to her. Befriend her.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Welcome back, ahay! Did you ever get your phone back?

Did you ever follow up with your mom to get help for your depression or whatever it is that is going on with you? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...do-594862.html)

Oct 3, 2011, 05:52 PM
    I got my phone back! And no I didn't talk to her about it.. I don't think about suicide or anything anymore so I'll be OK I guess. + my life is really busy right now so I don't really have time!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahay19 View Post
    I don't think about suicide or anything anymore so I'll be ok I guess. + my life is really busy right now so I don't really have time!
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! It's good to be busy!! Stay in touch!

Oct 3, 2011, 05:59 PM
    Hey joypulv, yes I have a boyfriend and he thinks I have depression or something, he says I'll get over it and he wants to help me get through it. I thank him for every compliment he gives me and he knows he is helping me a lot.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 06:06 PM
    What are your strong points and features, ahay?
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Oct 3, 2011, 08:25 PM
    Ahay19,

Your case is not so peculiar, as this envy-feeling is really common amongst the not-so-good-looking girls/women. Looking at uglier-than-you girls would really make you feel good, or such ideas may work, but in the negative sense, in the sense, why to find ugliness in others (comparisons and evaluations are bad for mind - says psychology), as all are - including you - WHOLE, PERFECT and COMPLETE. Remember - YOU ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL. Beautiful lies in beholder's eyes. The concept of beauty differs from person to person, country to country and community to community.

Let me recall a beautiful experiment, done by Yuri Borov, a famous Russian aesthete. He got a group of randomly chosen people of different age groups, different countries and different natures, and let them be together for some days. Asking them to rate one another on socio-metric scales on beauty aspect, he assessed their views about each other, as to how much beautiful they find others. First day they gave importance to face value, but as the time passes (the SMS, I mean socio-metric scale, was given every day) they started forgetting face value... but here, I am not repeating your INSIDE BEAUTY concept, but telling about changing concept of beauty (with time, as one spends with you, and not in WHOLESOME time).

Face is not the only criteria of beauty in the world, for some it is hair, for others it is your smile, and for some, your body features and for some, something else...

For example, simply long haired girls are considered beautiful in India, but in Europe, bobbed girls or girls with short/shingled/cropped tresses are called beautiful. For Sikhs, long uncut hair are wow, but for others, trimmed locks are the ultimate concept of beauty. Some prefer shoulder cut, others very short, and some even boy cut, but believe me, there are many who even LOVE to see girls BALD. (There are many in South India). Check here, if you want -
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=35239791
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Profile?...62970630518362
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=19802890
    http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=55775346
    (There are many such, which you can easily find, but the point is... )

If lanky girls are liked by some people and in some communities, some prefer short-statured girls, as in China.

Remember, there is no one definition of beauty, and usually, we have our own concept of beauty and we compare ourselves with our own concept of beauty, and thereby if we fail in our own criteria, we feel ugly in our own eyes, even as for the world, you may be nothing less than Marlyn Munroe or Aishwarya Rai.

LAST - You said you cut off your hair, but it did not help you look better. Consult an expert hair stylist, about which CUT will best suit you. See me in the snap, here, and you can see how bad will I look with boycut or even a braid or knot behind (but it is my perception, or of some people) and loose dress and full sleeve garments will make me look worse, I presume. More hair on head may make me shaggy. But it is -believe me - perception of one person, that is me. For you, it can be another, for another, another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What makes girls pretty/hot/beautiful? [ 3 Answers ]

I would really like guys opinions pleas?

I am a balding guy, will 'pretty' girls avoid me? [ 17 Answers ]

Ok. I have a question that most of you will probably laugh at because it is pretty superficial. Anyway, now that I'm in the dating scene after my relationship ended two months ago, I'm very worried! I'm 28 and losing my hair at a rapid pace! Now let me give you a little background before I pose...

How do I stop being jealous? Is this being jealous? [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend sent messages to guys do I have the right to be jealous? And when I ask her she make it out of fight saying I do not trust her. What is it?

Mixed signals from this girl. Do all pretty girls love to play games? [ 2 Answers ]

This girl has sent me mixed signals for awhile. I met her in business school a few months ago (she was 1st yr, I was 2nd yr) and I helped her with career interview prep. Her body language was always a little innocent, nervous and curious about me, but she did mention her BF (who lives in a...

View more questions Search