Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    copia247 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Central AC Unit Hums
    In my attempt to repair my central AC unit, what could possibly be the issue if the central AC unit does not run and all I hear from the outside central AC unit is a "humming" sound? I replaced the fan motor because when I first heard the "humming" sound coming from the outside AC unit I noticed that the fan was very hot to a touch. Rather than continue to replace any other electrical parts, such as the Contactor or Capacitor, would anyone know from his or her knowledge and past experience what might be the problem? Thank You
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 05:40 PM
    I would start with the capacitor. It is a dual capacitor, take it to a local heating or electrical shop and get an exact match. Or better yet, have them test it for you. They will most likely do this for free, and if its bad, sell you a new one. If it test good, then we move to the next step. Let me know what you find.
    copia247 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2011, 04:21 AM
    Thank you for your reply. I will try to get to test it by the weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My central air unit is freezing up on the outside unit pipe.. 80 degrees outside [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit is freezing up on the outside unit (you can see the ice covering the pipe that goes from the unit to the house and it is 80degrees outside. You can hear the unit running but no air is coming through the vents. I left it off all night and it is cooling fine today. Is this...

Goodman cpke30-18 outside unit does not work, hums [ 2 Answers ]

I have a goodman split unit modell number on the outside unit is CPKE30-18. Had this when I moved 5 years ago. Have read most negative reviews on this equipment. The outside unit has stopped working, I do hear an electrical hum at the outside, the fan does not rotate and I have no money to...

Trane Heater Blower Unit constantly hums [ 3 Answers ]

I have two (2) Trane gas heater/blowers in my basement and one is completely silent when the blower isn't on and the other has hummed constantly for 10 years unless you turn the power completely off. I had some work done on my hot water heater and the plumber asked me why the blower unit was...

The fan on my central ac unit hums and won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

The fan motor gets very hot to the touch and the fan will not rotate

Outdoor A/C unit hums but doesn't come on [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 ton century A/C unit. The outside unit will not come on, but it hums. I have determined the following: The air handler fan in the inside unit comes on. The compressor and the fan in the outdoor unit do not come on, but it hums. (I assume the compressor is not coming on... lines are...

View more questions Search