Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SMR711 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
    How soon after abortion do pregnancy tests show up negative?
    I had an abortion September 1, 2011, I had NO bleeding at all except the day of, that night, and the next day. I did not wait to have sex like I should have, and now I am having an implantation type of bleeding, which started about 3 days ago. I also have mild cramping, but no red blood, only light pink or brown. I took a early pregnancy test today and it was positive, & I happened to have a doc appt. Today for my check up after an abortion. The pregnancy test was positive, but they had to send my blood off because it could be positive from the previous pregnancy. It's just shy of 2 days of it being a full 3 weeks since abortion, should I have gotten 2 positive tests; further, the one I took at home is from www.early-pregnancy-tests.com and shows up VERY early on in pregnancy, and it didn't take long AT ALL for the 2nd line to show up! I would LOVE some piece of mind, is there ANY way you can give me SOME kind of opinion or advice? I don't think I can wait a full week to get blood back, I know I am a VERY fertile woman & especially after an abortion. PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING... ANYTHING...
    Thank You,
    Shannon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 08:32 PM
    I hope the new user name is better for you.

I have left the link this time, since a review of your posts show that you do not have a habit of advertising

The test as your doctor told you, can easily show positive from the first one that ended in abortion.

But you could also easily also be pregnant again, esp if not using any forms of birth control

The other fear, and perhaps the largest should be any damage or infections that may have developed from having sex so early after an abortion. But I will assume your doctor also checked from it.

I am sorry, while I wish I could give you some peace, your actions were of the type that can cause a high risk for many things.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck, but I also want to point out that there is a reason we are told to refrain from intercourse after delivery/miscarriage or abortion. That reason is infection. It is possible that you do have an infection since you did not give the cervix enough time to completely close after the abortion.

Sep 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Thanks you, No infection, as I said earlier, I went to the doc today. I do appreciate the advice/answer J9, but what's done is done, I had sex when I shouldn't, please spare the lecture, I do not mean any disrespect, but I am dealing with enough, besides this situation, I have a big ole heap of issues going on in my life right now, so please... spare me
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 09:06 PM
    I'm not lecturing you, you misunderstand. I know what's done is done.

What I am trying to say is that your doctor may want to check your uterus or your cervix for infection.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR711 View Post
    Thanks yall, No infection, as I said earlier, I went 2 the doc today. I do appreciate the advice/answer J9, but whats done is done, I had sex when I shouldn't, please spare the lecture, I do not mean any disrespect, but I am dealing with enough, besides this situation, I have a big ole heap of issues going on in my life right now, so please.....spare me
    There was no lecture from anybody. There is no judgement here. Left over material from the procedure can remain inside and cause infection and the only way to make sure there is no material left is to have an ultrasound. Did you have an ultrasound when you seen your doctor?

Sep 19, 2011, 10:02 PM
    Thank you for your opinion as well, but on the infection thing, I am going with what the OBGYN DOCTOR said, not a random stranger online, this post was not even about an infection, and as I told J9, I meant NO disrespect, and still don't... I thank him for his last post for clearing things up THANKS J9 :)

Sep 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
    And J9, she checked, THANKFULLY, no infection, I took all antibiotics after the "procedure" (sorry... HATE the word) as well as the other meds I was supposed to take.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 10:13 PM
    With all due respect, if you are going with what the OB/GYN said, why are you asking here? I don't understand.

Oh, and BTW, I am a RN who works in labor and delivery, I see this sort of thing more often than you know. In my profession I have to remain objective.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
    Sometimes it is necessary to have your urterus cleaned out, and that is called curetage, or D&C, which is absolutely necessary for health.

Tick

Sep 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
    Thank you Tickle, I basically had a D&C, and J9, I am asking on here because I googled it, and it took me to a link that said "Ask a Doctor NOW for FREE", now... here I am... BTW, J9, I am asking because I wanted other opinions until my results come in, it's a BIG DEAL, a LIFE CHANGING outcome, as you know, so, to sum things up, I am scared, and anxiously awaiting these blood results; further, I thought I could get some insight from a doctor on the issue because I have read online AND been told by doctors different things about how long you can test positive after that kind of procedure.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Hi SRM, I came in the back door because I hadn't responded to your particular post. Yes, it is a life changing occurrence, I know that for sure cause had two abortions in my lifetime and the second one I was old enough to know I had to have curetage, but I didn't it was only because it was part of the procedure. I am now, almost 70 have a lovely son who is 30 and loving his life, so that is not why I am here to help you.

We don't have doctors to talk to free here and J9 is a wonderful nurse who volunteers her time here aside from her busy schedule in a hospital, I volunteer here from my job with seniors in my community.

It is my understanding that after you have curetage it is extremely easy to become pregnant and you should wait at least a couple of months before you start enjoying your partner again.

Please consult your obygyn personally and ask and keep track of all answers.

Tick

Sep 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
    THANKFULLY, I AM NOT PREGNANT!! Thanks for all the advice/replies!

THE END
    Shannon
    Expert

Sep 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Super glad you are happy with the outcome.

THE END

Tick
    22lena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 07:37 AM
    I don't think them two understand, her doc said she didn't have an infection so um yeah... secondly yeah it's a great possibility you could be pregnant
    22lena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
    I'm wrong!!
    Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 22lena View Post
    i dont think them two understand, her doc said she didnt have an infection so um yeah..... secondly yeah its a great possibility u could be prego
    You came in too late. This thread is from last September. And 'those two' um yea, did understand.
    prinzecitah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
    I had a medical abortion on August 28 2012. I had unprotected sex for the first time again on September 7. but my boyfriend didn't come at all he pulled out and we stopped since we don't want to go threw the same thing again... is der any chance I kan be pregnant again even if he didn't at all?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 missed periods negative pregnancy tests blood and urine symptoms of pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, my last period was on Sept. 15, 2009. It is now December 18, 2009 and I have missed my last 3 periods. I have gone for blood tests and urine tests for pregnancy and every single one has come back negative. I'm so confused! I mean I've been getting pregnancy symptoms like headaches, nausea,...

6 pregnancy tests and all negative [ 1 Answers ]

Stopped taking the pill 30th July and had a period on the 4th August and had nothing since.ive taken 6 pregnancy tests and all came out negative.ive never missed a period before and have a 28day cycle.please help

4 negative tests, pregnancy possible? [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have had unprotected sex a few times. I never got close to ejaculating inside her or even outside of her. She took two tests the day after her missed and then one two days after that. She bled a little the day afterward. Then we took one a week later. All of these were...

4 negative pregnancy tests. [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have never had unprotected sex, but the last period I had was on July 12th, which makes me 48 days late today. I haven't had any symptoms of pregnancy, there has been no change in my daily lifestyle, and I have not been stressing over anything. I have taken 3 HPT's, all...

View more questions Search