Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boonen Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 04:25 AM
    Windows xp pro cannot log in?
    I click on usersname, type in my password, hit enter,then loading.. and continues loading... Nothing changes, same window with loading details...
    What to do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 15, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Is it stuck loading, or does it get there eventually ?

A simple reboot may well help with the speed.,.

Sep 15, 2011, 04:40 AM
    I guess it is stuck loading as the welcome window, loading personal settings.. doesn't change.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
    If you never leave that screen one option is do a Repair installation of XP. You'll need your original XP CD to do that and you'll need to know how to boot from CD on your PC.
    Windows Repair: How to repair your Windows XP PC with your Boot-Disc - YouTube
    BK201 Posts: 338, Reputation: 150

Sep 15, 2011, 05:20 AM
    1. Restart the computer and immediately keep tapping the F8 key. You will get the 'Advanced Boot Options". (please let us know if you have troulbe getting on to advanced boot options)
    2. Using the arrows, go to "safe mode"
    3. You will get a pop-up, click yes.
    4. Now check if your computer boots normally. If yes, I suggest you can do a system restore while in safe mode. That should fix the issue.
    Getting into Windows Safe Mode

Sep 15, 2011, 05:42 AM
    In safe mode the screen shows the system keys... Looks like I have to reinstall

Sep 15, 2011, 05:44 AM
    The problem with repairing the os with the xp cd, if it works, is that you loose all your email and significant amounts of data -- adds up to reinstalling.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boonen View Post
    The problem with repairing the os with the xp cd, if it works, is that you loose all your email and significant amounts of data -- adds up to reinstalling.
    Not at all. The repair reinstallation does not touch user files, just system files.
    Here's additional info in case you donlt trust me: Repair Windows XP by Performing a Repair Install (Part 1 of 2)

You will need to do a whack of Windows Updates and you may have to get some device drivers.

Sep 15, 2011, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boonen View Post
    In safe mode the screen shows the system keys... Looks like I have to reinstall
    Haa! If that's the case, then I suggest you should go with what NeedKarma says.

Sep 15, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Thanks a lot, I will try it out!

Sep 16, 2011, 06:41 AM
    @NeedKarma

Hi,
    Tried it out, and worked until... it asked me to insert the CD Windows XP with "service pack 2" for file extensions that it could not find
    My version XPpro is without service pack 2 on the CD, but of course the system had been updated with service pack 2 and 3.
    What to do or what do?
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 06:45 AM
    "for file extentions that it could not find"

Not sure exectly what that means. Couldn't you simply select a file with the extension that confused Windows and do "Open with..." and select the program from there?

Sep 16, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Will try again later, and let you know whether it worked out. The thing is in service pack 2 there are extensions that are not on the older version XPro which didn't include yet service pack 2 and or 3.

Sep 16, 2011, 08:55 AM
    It does seem to work, but it is still tricky. I can find the missing files with browser, but I don't, for example, know where to find the nividia xp drive (nv4_mini). So at the moment I am trying all the folders in order to find the driver. Again, I can't find the driver in th Nvidia folder
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Why not just get a new fresher copy of the video card driver?

Sep 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Wow, so simple! That was a terrific personal update on my basic computer/OS knowledge. Thank you very, very much! That's exactly the way to do it. My XPpro is from 2002,without Service Pack 2 & 3, but
    This isn't a problem in fact. The problem with the Nvidia driver was simple: I have the disk, but had forgotten it!
    It has taught me a lesson about the need to store data and to keep a minimum of programs (and not a maximum!).
    Once more, thank you,also for the quick response, you've saved me a lot of trouble with that precious little hint.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
    No problem, I love happy endings. :-) But you could always check Nvidia's site for a newer version driver than the one on the disk.

Sep 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
    PS I should have mentioned that the Service Pack 2 & 3 is not on my original XPpro disk, but of course the running system has been updated to Service Pack 3.

Sep 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
    There are some problems after repair: some image files show now an "access denied" when I try to open them.
    So, I can see the small icons, but can't open them. The folder in question was stored on the D: drive partition. There is also a funny system folder which shows access denied where I only used this drive for storage. Otherwise the documents and pictures folders, as other folders on the C: drive are perfect.
    I must say before there were already some conflicting problems between Windows and Canon software for the managing of the image files and folders.

Any suggestions how to restore, or get normal access to, the image files stored on the non system D: drive?

Sep 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
    See if this works.
    Right click, properties, security tab, click on add.. add your logon, provide full rights.
    (In case if you don't see the security tab, open my computer, go to tools, folder options, view -tab, uncheck - simple file sharing.. now you must get the security tab when you right click on a file or folder)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308421
    This article should help too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUERR pro 20 log splitter [ 2 Answers ]

How do I replace the starter rope on my DUERR pro 20 log splitter

Unwanted windows at log on [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I log on appears a window that has a lot of Adobe folders. I have to delete it in order to continue. I do have Adobe 9 downloaded but I don't know about Acrobat reader. Is it telling me the download is incomplete or what? It's irritating and I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I...

Can't log in windows 2000 [ 3 Answers ]

Bought a used older dell computer. Can't log in to windows 2000. Don't know password.

WIndows XP log on Options [ 13 Answers ]

I'm completely new to this forum an hope to find some help here. I have recently purchased a used PC with pre installed wondows XP. The PC actually comes from a professional company with network accesibility. The log on procedure allows only the system administrator to log on. I want to change...

View more questions Search