Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garrettsgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
    Is it legal for a 16 year old to date a 19 year old in Oregon?
    We have been dating almost 5 months, and he will be 19 in October, and I will be 17 in June. We aren't sexually active, but my mother always threatens to call the police on him. Would he be in trouble? I don't want him to get into trouble, just because we love each other.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
    No... he could be arrested and charged with Satutory rape and be considered a sex offender for life if convicted.

Oregon - Age of Consent Laws | Moral Outrage

You can't legally concent in Oregon until 18 according to the law. And at 19 he is legally an adult.

Sep 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
    We are just dating.. not having sex.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
    THe answer remains the same. You are a minor, he is an adult.
    Your mother calls the police, and he is in huge trouble.

Sep 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Actually, in the details below the question it says, "We aren't sexually active". Many of the laws I have been reading say if you are not having sex, then you can date. But you can't legally have sex because of the age of consent in Oregon is 18. I just want to see what other people can dig up, and make sure my boyfriend doesn't get in trouble because I have a crazy mother.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettsgirl View Post
    Actually, in the details below the question it says, "We aren't sexually active". Many of the laws I have been reading say if you are not having sex, then you can date. But you can't legally have sex because of the age of consent in Oregon is 18. I just want to see what other people can dig up, and make sure my boyfriend doesn't get in trouble because I have a crazy mother.
    That's not how it works under the age of concent law. The minor can't even give concent to date, be driven across a state line... or many other things until they are 18. All the police have to do is catch him out with her after her mother reports him, and he will be sitting in jail awaiting trial. Jail is bad enough... being in jail on a charge of statutory rape of a minor... and he's going to have to request protective custody.

And there have been many guys who have been through that because they "thought" they were doing nothing wrong.

Sep 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
    We have consent to date, my mom just likes to make threats when she is mad at me, and ?I don't want to have to be worried about him getting in trouble, since we aren't doing anything wrong and have had consent for almost five months.

Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettsgirl View Post
    We have consent to date, my mom just likes to make threats when she is mad at me, and ?I don't want to have to be worried about him getting in trouble, since we aren't doing anything wrong and have had consent for almost five months.
    Proof you were doing something wrong (beyond the dating part) isn't really needed if the right people decided to pursue it. And all your mom has to do is make a phone call when she's upset and he's in serious trouble.

One thing you have to understand is the law isn't negotiable as everything else might appear to be at your age. He's taking a big risk, with major penalties. And understand that someone other than your mother could turn him in as well. A neighbor... one of your friends, one of his friends or anyone that knows either of you and your ages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the State of Maine is it legal for an 18 year old male to date a 16 year old girl [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 years old and wants to date a girl who is 16 years old and will turn 17 years old in 2 weeks. Is this legal?

Is it legal for an 19 year old girl to date a 16 year old girl in Oregon? [ 2 Answers ]

We are both girl's and wanting to know if it is legal to date each other?

Can a 13 year old legally date a 17 year old in the state of Oregon [ 6 Answers ]

I am 13 years old turning 14 in one month and this guy I like is 17 can we legally date in the state of Oregon.

Is it legal for an 18 year old to date a 15 year old in Oregon? [ 5 Answers ]

So we are just under 3 years difference and my mother with full custody of me is fine with but my dad doesn't know.

View more questions Search