Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tesnes Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 12:10 PM
    Toyota camry 2000 coolant all over radiator temp gage not hote?
    Hello, I have a 2000 Toyota camry,I had the timing belt, water pump replace and cooling system checked last July,Last Friday, we were went to the store and spent at leat 45 minutes and when I came out I saw this fluid under need the car, it was green. I wasn't sure if it was from our car so I moved my car to a different parking spot and opened the hood. The coolant reservoir(white) was empty. I wasn't sure what was happening so I had a friend bring me a coolant, we put the coolant and went to home (15 minutes drive), we checked the coolant and its all gone, green fluid was all over on the of the radiator. The temperature of the gauge did not indicate any overheating at all, we did'nt use the a/c so I am not sure what's going on. Any ideas?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Your question is a little confusing when you said "green fluid was all over on the of the radiator."... do you mean it was on the radiator? Under it?

It sounds like you may only have a leak somewhere. It could be as simple as a hole in a hose or as bad as a crack or hole in the radiator. You will need to check it for leaks. Fill it again and start it up. Check to see if you can see any spraying or dripping.

Sep 7, 2011, 01:18 PM
    Sorry, my typing is bad. There was green fluid was on top/around the radiator. My cousin told me that I need a new radiator. He suggest that if I am getting anew radiator to change my thermostat too.

Now, if I recall, when we refill the coolant and started the engine (hood was still open), I did not notice any spraying or dripping at all, will it show right away or should I try again and have it run for awhile? Also the fan on the radiator wasn't turning,is the fan suppose to turn on and start to blow when the engine is on?

But then again,I didn't wait for a long time to see if it was spraying or dripping, I was so worried that it will overheat so we close the hood and went home.

How do you know if the radiator has holes/cracked? Do I need a new radiator if it is?
    How do you know if the thermostat is plugged?
    How do you know if the hose has a hole? And how many hose is it?
    How come my gauge doesn't change to Hot? Does that mean its not overheating? So why was there fluid all over the floor/under the car in the first place?

Entomology Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Don't worry about your typing... lol... I just wanted to be clear what you were asking.

It does sound like a radiator leak to me. Sometimes the seam on the plastic radiators gives out. You would need to clean it all off (maybe running some water on it until the coolant is gone) so you can see if any new coolant appears.

To answer your newest questions, I will just go in order that you asked them:

will it show right away or should I try again and have it run for awhile?
    You would need to leave the car running for a bit in order for it to heat up and build up pressure.

is the fan suppose to turn on and start to blow when the engine is on?
    The fan will not come on until the engine is hot enough for it to.

How do you know if the radiator has holes/cracked? Do I need a new radiator if it is?
    You will need to do as I said above, clean it off. You then need to fill it up, close the radiator and start the car. Let it run and watch for leaks. If you had a pressure tester, that's really the best way but... You could also take it to a shop for an estimate. Many places will give free estimates. And, yes, if the radiator is leaking, it's done and you need a new one.

How do you know if the thermostat is plugged?
    The engine would be over heating... not just leaking.

how do you know if the hose has a hole? And how many hose is it?
    The hose would likely be spraying coolant out of it. Usually a leaking hose is pretty evident.

How come my gauge doesn't change to Hot? Does that mean its not overheating? So why was there fluid all over the floor/under the car in the first place?
    Your car is not overheating yet. It will if you continue to run it on low coolant. As far as coolant being all over... I think we were discussing the car leaking coolant... right? Leaking and overheating are 2 different things.

Sep 7, 2011, 02:34 PM
    Okay... some clarification. When I refill and put the coolant , I did not put it in the radiator, I refill it in the reservoir container (since radiator was hot did not open)
    So since I am really not familiar with cars stuff... I will need to fill up the radiator with coolant until the before top of the cap and start the engine to see if there is leaking and spraying from the radiator. I will also check the hose to see any leak.
    When I go home, I will refill the radiator and the reservoir with coolant and run the engine.. Thanks
    Can you tell I am a female - doesn't know anything about cards...

Just to let you know that majority of the shops here does not give free estimates, the lowest they charge just too look for the problem is $100. I have already spend almost $400 for changing timing belt/water pump last July. Now I have to buy a new radiator/thermostat or hose... I guess its better than buying a new car...

Thanks again for you help and understanding...
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Hi, I have a lot of experience with Toyota's and what you have is a common problem with older Camry's.
    The top seam or tank on the radiator has had it's day. Your cousin is dead on the money.
    When it goes into the shop, ask to have the coolant system pressure checked. This is where they will pump pressure into the radiator and the weakest point will show up quickly.
    It looks like another 400 repair, but well spent rather than overheating the engine.
    Factory radiators at the dealer have come way down in cost over recent years, so you may find their price competitive.
    Entomology Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 07:02 PM
    Replacing a radiator is not that hard for anyone that is at all familiar with cars. If you ask around, you should be able to find someone that could do this for you and you will at least save money on the cost of labor. Good luck.

Sep 8, 2011, 08:00 AM
    Good Morning...
    Ohhh my!! Well, we as my husband and I started working on the car yesterday, we added coolant fluid on coolant the reservoir then open the cap on radiator also. As soon as the fluid filled up the radiator, the fluid started leaking around coming from the top of the radiator and side. We also checked the 2 big hoses and that was not leaking at all. I did not even started the engine.
    So we decided to take out the radiator... oooohhh my that was hard, the fan part was hard to take out because there is the connection on the radiator to the fan and it was stuck, finally was able to take it out
    The 2 big hoses was not hard to take out but the 2 small ones, that was hard too. After 3 hours of it, we were able to take out the radiator problem is, the wire that connects the fan broke... I guess I have to buy that one too. What do you call that part?
    Anyway, we started cleaning the bottom part where all the coolant fluid spilled and under the car. This afternoon, we will buy the new radiator and 2 big hoses.
    Do I need to change the 2 small hoses? When we took out this 2 small hoses, there was dark oil that came out,what it is? Do we need to add something since we unhook that to the radiator? Do I need to change my thermostat? My cousin think I do since my radiator crack he thinks, my thermostat is plugged. The car did not overheat nor the temperature gauge went to hot.

Thanks for all the advise, guys, it really help us a lot yesterday!!
    Entomology Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 08:09 AM
    I am not sure about the wires to the fan... you may be able to re-use it or fix it but I couldn't tell you if I can't see it. Just be sure that the fan does come on when the engine gets hot. It will cycle on and off as the temp rises and lowers.

The 2 smaller hoses are transmission cooling lines. They shouldn't need to be replaced unless you damaged them in removing them. Normally you won't lose too much transmission fluid through them but it's still best to check the trans fluid level after the car is all back together and running. You do know the proper way to check transmission fluid, right?

As far as the thermostat... It wouldn't be a bad idea to change it while you're doing this. With that said, from what you described, I don't think the radiator went bad from a stuck thermostat. If it was stuck closed, you would have been over heating before leaking... if it was stuck open, the engine would never have come up to normal temperature. These plastic and aluminum radiators just give out after time... it's normal for it to happen.

Sep 8, 2011, 05:28 PM
    Ok... now I have all the parts... I have one problem, the wiring part... I think it's the temperature sensor wire that is connected to a temperature switch that is connected to the radiator. Do you know where I can get them?
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Is the wire broken or the connector? If it's a wire, splice it. If the connector is broken and you can't rig it some how, you will probably need to go to the dealer for it.

If you have a junkyard/salvage yard near you, that may also be a place to look.

Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM
    I know what the wire it is now... its call the Auxiliary Fan Control Unit, or the harness wire. I had to order them at Toyota dealer so it will be here tomorrow. I have also replace my thermostat and gasket yesterday, today we will put everything together. Tomorrow will wait to get the wire part then put coolant on the radiator. Once everything is all back in, do I have to do something before I start the engine. How do I know if I did it all right?
    I will keep you posted...

Thanks!
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 02:58 PM
    You just need to make sure you fill the cooling system and then run the car until the engine heats up and the thermostat opens. Add coolant until you get the required level then check for leaks. That should be it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Take note of this post I made a while back
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ry-246574.html
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Kitch... that's a great point. Thanks for bringing it up. It's funny... I've done this so many times that I don't even really think about it, you know? When writing it out, it never crossed my mind to mention that.

Thumbs up to you.

Sep 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Okay... we got the harness and attached to the temperature sensor. Started the car and waited. It took awhile but the car overheated and the fan did not start at all and the temperature gauge went to hot... what did we do wrong? Shouldn't the fan will start working when it gets hot? How come it did not come on...
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
    I guess you didn't read my post!

Sep 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Kitch, I did what you posted but still overheated. We opened the radiator cap again and its full, touched and kind of move the top hose to see if the fluid will go down and it did not. I figure, the radiator is full now with coolant.
    So why does the cooling fan did not turn on when it reached the hot temp? The cooling fan did turn on though when I turn the A/C on?
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
    Did you install a new thermostat? If so, you may have it in the wrong direction. The spring end goes towards the engine.

At this point keep the radiator cap on if you're sure you filled the entire cooling system correctly like I described.
    Let it warm up, then shut it off and let it fully cool. Be sure the reservoir bottle is to the full line.
    The next time you go to start it that bottle will nearly be empty if there's any air pockets in there. If it stayed the same, then your coolant level should be fine.
    If you reach down and unplug the temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator the fans should come on with the key "on".
    That will tell you the fans are working as they should.
    If that sensor never sees 212* the fans will never come on.
    That's why it's placed at the bottom.
    If the bottom of the radiator is cool to the touch, and the top will burn your hand off, then there isn't enough coolant flow, which means an air pocket, bad t-stat, or water pump.
    I suspect air still in the system. It will take a few hot/cold cycles but you should get there.

Sep 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Okay... we did put in a new thermostat and I believe we did put it in right. We tried to unplug the temp sensor(bottom of the radiator) only the harness wire part, sensor still plugged in the radiator and turned on the key, the fans did not start, we have 2 fans, one of the left and one of the right leaning against the radiator. I remember that we did put in some more coolant on the reservoir after the first time the gauge went to hot. The 2 fans went on when I turn on the A/C.
    The car have a new water pump, timing belt and was installed last July. I am hoping that if there was still air in the hose connected to thermostat that the coolant reservoir will be empty tomorrow then will try your suggestions and will see. I will keep you updated.
    My cousin told me to check where the fan switch is, he believe the switch is off. I do not see any fan switch at all. I thought, if the radiator gets hot, the temperature sensor that is connected to the radiator to the fan will send a signal to turn on the fan because its hot. Am I right? So I am thinking that my temperature sensor is bad? We do have a new harness on that temperature sensor that connects to the fan. But the toyota guy part told us that the sensor looks OK, the harness wires are the broken one, it had 2 wires connected and one cut off.
    What do you think?
    I wanted to thank you so much for your help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace a radiator for my 1999 toyota camry [ 1 Answers ]

There is a hole in the top of my radiator. I was still driving my camry around but had to stop when it started to run hot. I just purchased a new radiator. How difficult is it to replace. Do I need to do something to prep the vehicle and how many people and hours will it take? Thanks.

94 toyota camry tempature gauge shows hot coolant resivor bubbling [ 2 Answers ]

Gauge in the red, coolant resivor bubbling, and have already changed the thermostat

1998 toyota camry radiator fan not working [ 1 Answers ]

I had an accident & had to replace the radiator and the fans. The fans don't work, I replace the relay that are in the fuse box label Fan 1,2,& 3. What else could the problem? Is there another fuse that I am missing? Thanks

Automobile 2000 toyota camry [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 camry and just the other day my a/c-heater fan will not work unless I put it on number four - will not go on until I put it all the way up to four. People tell me it is the sensor, but other tell me it is my fan motor. Can you help me and then tell me were in the engine is it so I...

View more questions Search