Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moralesl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Does getting married to a US citizen makes me a US citizen?
    Hi, I am employment authorization card holder and I am about to get married to a US citizen and giving a birth to a US citizen baby.I was wondering if this could affect my situation on getting my green card. Do I still need to go through the process of getting my green card or just because I married a US citizen would make me a US citizen. I would be so thankful if you could answer my question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Marrying a US citizen does not AUTOMATICALLY make you a US citizen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Getting married, makes you married, having a baby makes you a mother, applying with the INS for proper Visa and for citizenship makes you a citizen.

Under the current President it is harder to deport someone who is not in the US legally but married, but he will not be President after a while, so rules change.
    You need the correct visa to come into the US to get married even.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2011, 02:55 AM
    A request for a temporary Green Card needs to be made. Then you need to wait a few years and request the temporary status be turned into permanent residence status. Because marriage is an easy way to circumvent immigration and naturalization laws, you will be required to have been together the entire time, and spent a certain amount of concurrent time within the country together.

You can learn more from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service PDF: "How do I help my relative become a U.S. permanent resident"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for EU citizen married to US citizen living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

What about the non-US citizen married to a US citizen both living in Europe and not earning income in the US? Does the non-US citizen need to file for US taxes when he has no US income nor is a US citizen? Would the US citizen spouse should just file in married filing separately?

Taxes for EU citizen married to dual US/EU citizen earning income both in US and EU [ 3 Answers ]

I am not a US citizen who lived and worked in the USA from 2000 - 2008 (worked 2003 - 2008 with H1B visa). My wife is an American and EU citizen and we got married in 2010. We both work, get paid and pay taxes in Europe. We jointly own real estate in the US which we rent and we are interested to...

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

I'm a us resident if I get married with a us citizen would it make me a citizen faster [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a us resident and my fiancé is a citizen. When we get married does it help me or make me a citizen automatic or it doesn't makes a difference since I've been a citizen for 16 years.

American Citizen married abroad with a Brazilian Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question, and I hope somebody can help me :-) I'm an american citizen and I got married in Brazil to a Brazilian citizen. She took a semester off from school (university) to stay here with me on a tourist visa. She is going back to Brazil now, to finish her degree (she...

View more questions Search