Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passion6979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2011, 10:35 PM
    My friend sister want to give her baby to me and I do not know where to begin?
    I have a friend. Her sister is 16yrs old and I am planning on raising her baby. Can anyone tell me the steps that I would have to go through to make this work. The father is an older guy who needs to be locked up but decided to hurry and move out of state so they won't find him. She has no job, her family will not help her. At this point I am raising her as well. Do she just give up her rights as mother. I do not have any kids of my own so this is a blessing to me. She is due in 10weeks and want to get the ball rolling. Please help me.
    dontknownothin Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2011, 12:50 AM
    This is somewhat dependent on where you live and the laws there. In a very general sense, there are a few options. She can award you temporary guardianship, or she can place the child for adoption with you. Placing a child for adoption is one of very few ways that birth parents can give up rights to their child. It is best if the father agrees and signs an adoption agreement, but if not this can usually be resolved in other ways unless he objects to the adoption.

All the states I know of require a "home study" of the potential adoptive parents. This is fairly comprehensive and can include everything from physicals, criminal background checks, some adoption counseling appointments, questionnaires, possibly a parenting or baby care class, financial disclosure and visit to your home to ensure it's a safe and proper environment for a child.

As the baby's mother is a minor, it may be required for her parents to consent to her placement of the child for adoption as minors cannot sign contractual agreements. Different states handle this in different ways.

I am not sure whether there would be public resources available to help with the adoption placement, or if it needs to be through a private agency. YOu will need to call around and do some research quickly.

You should start working on this immediately as the process can take a while and you don't have a lot of time. In the interim, if the mother is living with you, it will not be a problem for the child to be with you as well.

This is not a do-it-yourself deal - you have to have legal representation.

Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 31, 2011, 05:59 AM
    First, you get a lawyer.

Then you get a lawyer and a counselor for the birthmother, and a guardian ad litem for the baby.

You are probably NOT going to be able to adopt this child without serious legal representation--especially since adoptions require the permission of BOTH biological parents in order to happen.

What is most likely to happen at this point is that you will get guardianship of the child.

What state are you in? It makes a HUGE difference, as many states will not allow a single parent to adopt (you make no mention of a spouse, so I am assuming that you are single--please correct me if I am wrong).

The MOST important thing you can do right now is to get this girl to a counselor that specializes in adoption issues so that she COMPLETELY understands what she is giving up. Such counseling is mandatory in some states, but should be mandatory in all states, because the lifelong issues that can follow birthparents who do not get counseling BEFORE signing relinquishment papers can be very serious: depression, cutting, drug abuse, low self-esteem and suicide top the lists.

Start with a lawyer for yourself and a counselor for your friend's child, and please come back and give us some more information so that we can further help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sister in law is having a baby and wants to just sign the baby over to me [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to do? What papers do I need to get? And how much is it going to cost? I live in Arizona and I do not know what to do I don't want the child to go to cps and don't want the child to have to go through the system

How to give my baby to my friend? [ 9 Answers ]

I am 5 months pregnant and my friend has no children of her own. I have 4 and this was an unexpected pregnancy. Now I'm about to move to another state but me and her have agreed on me giving her my baby. I don't know where the father is so when I have the baby how do we go about adoption...

My sister wants to give me custody [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My niece is 1 1/2 years old and my sister has moved out and asked my husband and I to take care of my niece. Her father is incarcerated (something to do with having sex with a minor). My only concern is my niece. No hesitation on either my husband or myself to take care of her I just...

View more questions Search