Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buster29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Stairway chair rail transition to landing area
    What are the options to designing the chair rail transition from the stairway to the landing if I plan to maintain the same size style height in both areas?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 6, 2008, 07:37 AM

Lay out the chair rail height at the top and bottom of stairs then connect the two points
    InspectorDan Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2008, 08:39 AM

Hey Emeril,I apologize... I didn't know that my comment on your reply would show up on the thread.

Anyway, Buster, this is a difficult transition to make since the sloping chair rail on the stairway will be wider than the horizontal chair rail and you can't just miter them. One option might be to install some outside corner trim so you can butt each end of the chair rail into the corner trim instead.

Dec 6, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Sorry if I was not specific enough for you Inspector
    Lay out and level the chair rail height at the top and bottom of stairs then connect the two top points of chair rail with a caulk line that will give you the elevation of the chair rail going up the stairs
    As far as mitering it find the angle with scrap wood for both pieces and simply miter it:)
    InspectorDan Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EMERIL LAGASSE View Post
    Sorry if I was not specific enough for you Inspector
    Lay out and level the chair rail height at the top and bottom of stairs then connect the two top points of chair rail with a caulk line that will give you the elevation of the chair rail going up the stairs
    As far as mitering it find the angle with scrap wood for both pieces and simply miter it:)

Ahem... it's not me that needs the specifics Emeril. It's the originator of the thread. Have you ever tried to 'simply miter' this type of trim angle? As I mentioned in my earlier reply the two pieces are not the same the width. How do you miter two trim pieces that are not the same size? The chair rail that is coming down the stair way is going to be wider than the horizontal piece coming around the corner. It's like trying to miter a 1x4 to a 1x6. Sure you can 'simply miter it' but it will look like 'home-made sin' as my trim carpentry instructor used to say. Bam!! To that!

Dec 6, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Try it some time you have to miter both together with the same angle :)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 05:57 PM

Assuming that your question really is “ How do I make the chair rail going up the wall at an angle, turn the corner and meet the chair rail of the landing which is horizontal such is shown in the first drawing?”

The answer is you don't turn the corner and go horizontal at the same time.

You turn the corner staying horizontal and go a short distance. Then angle up (or down). It looks best if that horizontal distance is approximately the same as the width of the first tread.

I know my drawings take a lot of imagination but maybe they will help.
    Attached Images

shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2008, 03:38 AM

You can miter (approx. 36degrees) those corners easily enough. Level up 36" off the nose of the first or second steps from top and bottom. Chalk line that and make it meet the horizontal. If you do this, the miter cut won't be on the corner anyway. Good luck, stairs can keep you up at night.
    DecoratingDiva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
    InspectorDan: I have been racking my brains out trying to find a solution to the dilemma of butting up a chair rail going up stairs diagonally to a horizontal chair rail meeting it at the top. It can't be done; the sizes do not match. Thanks for the great solution of using something as a connector in between. Now the hunt continues for that perfect design. Thanks, you were the only one on internet who could answer the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install chair rail in a stairway. [ 5 Answers ]

I am having trouble cutting the angles on the stairway. How do I find the angles?

Chair rail [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a chair rail in my dinning room, my question regards nailing into the studs, living in Florida the studs are metal (I think steel or aluminum). The nail gun does not have the power to penetrate this kind of stud. Should I just nail into the dry wall or should I use a product such as...

Matching the cut on chair rail from stairway to 90 deg. Hallway [ 3 Answers ]

I can not match the chair rail cut from the stair way which is approximatly at a 50 deg. Angle up the stair way to the top of hallway on an outside corner. The piece of chair rail that comes up from the stair way is wider after I cut it because of the angle that I have to have coming up the stairs...

Angle from stairway to hall for chair rail installation [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing chair rail up a stair way at 34" from the top of each step to the bottom of the chair rall when I get to the top of the stairs and transition to the up stairs hallway, I am having difficulty finding the angle of the chair rall to match when it goes to the hall, can this be done or...

Chair Rail [ 2 Answers ]

I have a study that is 9 x 11 with 12' ceilings. What is the best way for me to shorten the height of the room without taking away from the square footage? Should I install chair rail?

View more questions Search