Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NITRO-BTU Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 08:50 AM
    YALE Engineering Pellets
    Hello People, Have any of you heard of "thermo-plating action pellets?" They are suppose to overhaul the Internals of the engine. Such as, the cylinder wall, piston rings, and valves.
    If any of you have used them, Please forward your experience... whether Good, or Bad. Thank-you, Nitro.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 09:06 AM

I can't find anything on this product. Do you have a link because it sounds like a scam.

Feb 14, 2010, 10:50 AM

Check with JC. WHITNEY & CO. They sell it. Popular Science magazine shows it advertised back in the 60's. Thanks, Jim.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 12:34 PM

I checked both sites online and there is no mention of it anywhere.

Feb 14, 2010, 02:18 PM

I GOOGLED IT . Popular Mechanics Aug. 1954 page 256. Made by J. Burton Engineering. Chicago 10.
    I bought some of these pellets years ago from JC. Whitney, but have never used them as of yet.
    Thanks, Jim.

Feb 15, 2010, 04:50 PM

DAD OF 3...
    DID YOU FIND IT?
    Jim.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 05:01 PM

Nope. I tried Google and I still couldn't find anything indicating the pellets. I was going to research it out for you having been in the mechanic business for over 25 years.
    okden31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 06:35 AM
    They are called Yale engine overhaul pellets. I am searching them for myself. JCWhitney used to sell them but it doesn't look like they do anymore. I used them a couple of times and worked like a champ every time. If anyone is able to find a source please let us know. I can be emailed at [email protected]

Apr 20, 2010, 07:45 AM

Okden31, Just a couple months ago, I also used the pellets in a 5hp briggs engine, but they didn't seem to work.
    Please post the details...
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 12:31 PM

Ref:

Old Cars Weekly - Q&A

Copied from site.

Q. This is in answer to Worrell Stout’s question on Yale Engine Overhaul Pellets. They were nothing more than small black balls of wax that would fit through a spark plug hole. When the combustion chamber heated up, in theory at least, the wax would melt and run down, sealing worn rings and cylinder bores. This produced a temporary improvement in engine performance. Of course, the package didn’t tell you that’s all they were. Your engine had to be shot before you would start resorting to such miracle fixes, but at least the little balls did no further damage. I do not have any details about the liquid product you mention, but I have a can of it on the shelf that I bought decades ago, but have never trusted it enough to use.

Chas Langelan, Mt. Airy, Md.

A. Thanks. Randy Smith from Tacoma, Wash. wrote to say he did use the Yale pellets in his brother’s 1951 Chevy pickup. The truck was a real oil-burner, so they bought some of the pellets and a quart of engine-overhaul-in-a-can, changed the oil, removed the spark plugs and administered the potions. After a month of driving they noticed that the blue smoke and rate of oil use had both noticeably decreased. I’m not sure whether this disputes or confirms Mr. Langelan’s explanation.

Q. A friend found an old package of Yale engine overhaul pellets in his late father’s effects. The instructions read to put several pellets into the spark plug holes, reinstall the plugs and the pellets will then overhaul your engine while you drive. I never heard of this stuff in 40 years of mechanic work. How old is this product? It looks mid-50s by the package. What can you or your readers tell me about this stuff, good or bad?

Worrell Stout, Huntingdon Valley, Pa.

A. Like most magic elixirs, I suspect the product has been around about as long as internal combustion engines themselves. I have a 1957 J.C. Whitney catalog that offers both the Yale pellets and a companion product, “Engine Overhaul Liquid Plate,” which one was supposed to add to the oil. The blurb reads that “while you drive, the worn parts are plated with a metallic layer that actually rebuilds them with a factory-like finish and fit…. Genuine engine overhaul, it lasts and lasts. Unconditionally guaranteed – or money back.” The liquid and pellets were sold together for $4.95 postpaid. We used to joke about the stuff back in the day, but I don’t know anyone who actually tried it. Do any of our readers have experience with these potions or even know what they’re made of?

( end quote )

They are discontinued at JC Whitney. So maybe you might try to contact someone from that board I referenced that has them in hand and see who was making them.
    sharrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
    I have used this product several times in the past. It really worked great on old cars that were wearing out. Newer cars didn't have much effect on except the "Blue Smoke" referred to by others. The cars I used it on really ran smoother and the mileage improved. It seemed to help for a few thousand miles, depending on how bad the engine was when I put it in. I would really like to get it for an old car I recently bought, but can't find anyplace that sells it any more.
    rdclaw2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Well,seems to auto geniuses spoke again.They were not made of wax,although wax was the binder.The product worked very well and that is why you cannot find it.Many companies got together and bought the rights.It was costing them money simply because you didn't need to buy their parts.I had several vehicles that were smoking,used the product and drove many more trouble and smoke free miles.Used to drive a lot and HiGear was where I found the product.
    They were not a miracle cure,you would have to be stupid to think that.If the directions were properly followed,it worked pretty well on many applications.Used car dealers loved it,they could doctor a car and you would drive it forever without knowing you were ripped off!
    Yes the products worked,and if I could find a few kits,I would buy them just in case.
    msh_9663 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 03:44 PM
    I have bought the product from J. C. Whitney many times. It is little metal pellets that melt easily with the heat of the engine and coat the valves and pistons and other parts. I had a Corvair that was using a quart of oil once a day. When you opened the oil cap it would puff like a steam engine. I used the pellets and liquid that came with the kit for $19.95 and it cut down oil consumption to a quart once a week. I used another kit and it cut the oil burning down to a quart a month. I have used the product on about three other cars I have owned. It has worked each time. The product can be purchased at Pep Boys and is available in the J. C. Whitney catalog, but not online. Just request a free catalog and you will see the ad in there.

Michael Shader, Needles, CA
    michaelpault Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
    in the Early 80s, I had a GMC delivery van that was in pretty rough shape. It's been a while but I'd say it was about a 65 van and had been poorly maintained.

I found the pellets at an auto shop for about 8.99 and put them in the 270 6 cyl truck engine.

To my pleasant surprise, the van had a lot more power, and the engine noise was significantly reduced.

Heading home in the evening we'd drive from Santa Rosa to Forestville. There was a long steady grade for a mile or two that we no longer needed to downshift into 2nd to get up. It had a significant improvement in power.

At about 4000 miles, the pellets began to wear and lose some of their benefit. As we were moving, we sold the van, and didn't buy a second set.

It was a great and simple product... .shame it's gone.

Mike
    mxmtech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
    I used this product in 1986 on a 1980 dodge slant 6. the compression tester showed readings of 65 to 85 psi and it ran like crap. Not surprising because the motor already had 225,000 miles on it, which was a heck of a lot of milage back then. The product instructions back in those days were to run the motor for 500 miles without exceeding 40 mph and without gunning the engine. I followed the instructions to the letter. At about 600 miles after using the product the vehicle suddenly surged forward with extra power and I enjoyed another 50,000 miles from that engine. When I got stuck in a snowbank and revved the motor out to max I blew up a spark plug wire, naturally I thought that I had blown up the engine and bought a new one.
    I bought another package about 20 years ago and saved it until today because my motorcycle is down to 60 psi on all 4 cylinders. The oil burning is down significantly already, and it starts a little better.
    Now I need another package to save till later, because this product is the real deal.
    samsea3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 07:08 AM
    I've used the Yale pellets and oil additive several times over the past 40 years. The results were great to no improvement. The best result I got was on a 390 Ford engine with badle broken piston rings; 50 miles after adding the pellets it stopped smmoking.

They can be found at www.cpillinois.com and come in a 12 pack box. I wish I could find a single pack for purchase.

Samsea3
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samsea3 View Post
    I've used the Yale pellets and oil additive several times over the past 40 years. The results were great to no improvement. the best result I got was on a 390 Ford engine with badle broken piston rings; 50 miles after adding the pellets it stopped smmoking.

They can be found at Turnkey private label programs, contract packing, tube filling, bottle filling, private label adhesives, pipettes, yale automotive, Custom Pak Illinois and come in a 12 pack box. I wish I could find a single pack for purchase.

Samsea3
    Thank you for finding the product. As you can see this thread has been ongoing for a long time and no one was aware of the name change for the product. Thanks again. Direct link posted:

Turnkey private label programs, contract packing, tube filling, bottle filling, private label adhesives, pipettes, yale automotive, Custom Pak Illinois
    mxmtech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
    I phoned and talked to the people at Custom Pak Illinois website. They claim that (1) they own the recipe for the pellets and oil additive (2) they no longer produce the kit and haven't since at least 2008 (3) they don't know anyone who might still have some old stock.
    I conclude that I would have to order an entire factory run to get what I want.
    Update on my motor cycle engine - cylinders 2 and 3 are now heating up immediately, they used to take up to 20 minutes to start firing.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmtech View Post
    I phoned and talked to the people at Custom Pak Illinois website. They claim that (1) they own the recipe for the pellets and oil additive (2) they no longer produce the kit and haven't since at least 2008 (3) they don't know anyone who might still have some old stock.
    I conclude that I would have to order an entire factory run to get what I want.
    Update on my motor cycle engine - cylinders 2 and 3 are now heating up immediately, they used to take up to 20 minutes to start firing.

Thanks for letting us know. I thought maybe we had solved this problem of where to find them. Maybe if enough demand is there a factory run can come together. Who knows.
    MEFISTO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 09:18 PM
    My dad show me that product YEARS ago, I mean.. about 15 years or more ago
    He used in his Old 6 cylinder Mercedes Benz that smoke
    And it was AMAZING
    Now.. he found missing pellets, so I use them on my 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer (mirage in USA) 1.5L 12v carb
    And it works perfect!
    Is like the pellets SEAL all inside engine, stop leaks, no more smoke
    Is great!
    He got for JC Whitney late in the 80s.

It was a box with a liquid (he never use that) and Pellet bags

Searching about getting more pellets I found this
    But.. I can't found ANY other info about

Julian - Argentina

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanical Engineering versus Aeronautical Engineering [ 3 Answers ]

I am asking about the relationship between Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. Is it possible to pursue Aeronautical Engineering postgraduate degree after completing Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree? How is the demand for Aeronautical Engineering graduates?

Grown Up Cats Eating Only Pellets [ 6 Answers ]

Sirs, I have two cats around one year old.They refuse to eat anything else other than pellets that are meant for dogs and puppies (Pedigree).Sometimes they eat chicken liver or beef liver.They will not touch milk or even fish. Thanks and regards, ...

How to get a scholarship to yale [ 2 Answers ]

How do you get a scholarship to Yale? What entrance requirements do I need to have?

I Need A Scholarship To Yale Or Jhu [ 4 Answers ]

I really need help. I have a b+ average as a High school Senior. What are my chances in getting scholarships or even getting acceptance to Ivy league schools??

Heating with wood pellets [ 1 Answers ]

Dear community members, I have read the annotation for the article "The Technologies of Biomass and Coal Co-Combustion in Pulverized-Coal Furnaces" located Wood products and the idea of installing both wood pellet heating and coal heating systems in a house. Do yo know any examples when such...

View more questions Search