Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vampz Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 09:35 PM
    1991 honda accord ignition switch
    My ignition failed to turn anymore which proved to be the key lock going bad tried replacing with a new one from schucks but every time we do as it states you can only turn the key from positions 1-3 and not to the off position to remove the key. According to the instructions you put the lock in place without the key until you can't push it in no more. Then you insert the key and turn it to the 1 position as you puss on the lock to get there pin to drop in place when it does that you can start the car and put it in position 1 2 or 3 but not into position 0 for shutting it off which requires pushing the key in to go to 0. are we doing something wrong is there a step missing from the instructions? Please help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
    See if this works:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Feb 14, 2007, 09:05 AM
    After lots of searchin I read that but seems kind of vague since I'm just trying to replace the ignition lock cylinder not the whole unit so I can't say I quite understand that 6 step process. :eek:
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Are you saying you need to replace the steering lock assembly? If so, maybe this will help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224842

The problem may be that it's not a Honda part. Sometimes it makes a difference.

Feb 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
    No just need to change the lock (ignition key cylinder it's a 15 dollar part which when u do as intructed to insert it the key moves from I II or III positions but u can't go to the 0 position to meove the key. So again whtt is being done wrong or is there something else wrong as well

Feb 14, 2007, 04:27 PM
    OK gang for anyone wanting to know the solution... :D I followed the pkg instructions to install the ignition key cylinder and it still didn't want to turn to the off position so I pusehed a little harder than normal in on the key while it was in the 1 position and in finall gave in allwing for the key to be turned to the off position. I followed up with testing the new key taking it out etc and it works great! Good luck out there:rolleyes: :cool:
    hummer011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 11:11 AM
    I am having the same problem I am trying to do what vamp did but the key will not give does anyone know how to make the key go back to the 0 position I've tried everything ,
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 11:20 AM

This should work:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Did you turn it to 0 position, before removing the old switch?
    kidser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
    I know this doesn't have to do with anything but I have a similar problem. I need to remove the ignition cylinder but I can't turn it to acceary mode like what people say to do because the key is broken in there. Can anyone help me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where Is Ignition Module 1992 Honda Accord Ex [ 12 Answers ]

My Car Won't Start And I'm Not Getting Any Spark From The Coil, So I Replaced The Coil To No Avail. I Guess The Next Thing Is The Ignition Module.. can Anyone Please Tell Me Where It Is Located... thanks

1989 honda crx ignition switch [ 3 Answers ]

Can I change the ignition switch on my crx myself and how do I do it?

1991 Honda Civic Ignition [ 7 Answers ]

I am referring to an article posted by CroCivic in May 2005, which details testing the Honda ignition system. In the section on how to diagnose the Igniter Unit, I do not have continuity between the BLU wire and ground. The WHT wire measures 198k ohms. The article states to check for an open in...

1991 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My 1991 Honda Accord EXR seems to have a problem with the torque converter not locking up. You can tell because at 100k the RPM is at about 3000rpm and once the car gets warmed up (about 1/2 hour of driving) the RPM drops to about 2600rpm and you can tell the converter is locked in. Any ideas of...

91 Honda Civic Ignition Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I need instructions for replacing a 91 Honda Civic ignition "lock" switch. I have to replace the whole unti not just the tumblers. Thanks.

View more questions Search