Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ronni66 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Can the entire SSDI back pay be taken for child support in arrears?
    My brother who lives in Nevada is 51 years old and has just been approved for SSDI/SSI. He is in arrears for child support to the state of California for a huge amount of money ($50,000) even though they have garnished his wages all these years it's still huge.

The child is now 23 years old and on her own, but he still owes back child support due to the interest because he had some years of unemployment and was injured and has sustained injuries.

I know he needs to get a modification for child support, and because he does not understand how things work, he didn't think he could reduce it until recently. But my main question is this:

He is expecting a moderate backpay from SSDI and SSI, can the state take his entire Back pay for the back child support,or is it 60% like the monthly he has to pay? He knows he needs to pay out of his monthly amount, but he is concerned about the backpay being taken completely.

Thanks for your help
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronni66 View Post
    He is expecting a moderate backpay from SSDI and SSI, can the state take his entire Back pay for the back child support,or is it 60% like the monthly he has to pay? He knows he needs to pay out of his monthly amount, but he is concerned about the backpay being taken completely.

thanks for your help
    Nevada follows the CCPA limits on withholding:

The withholding limits set by the federal CCPA are as follows:
    50% Supports a second family, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
    55% Supports a second family, and more than 12 weeks in arrears
    60% Single, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
    65% Single, and is more than 12 weeks in arrears.

I think any (disposable) income, including disability income, is subject to withholding in Nevada. Since Nevada guidelines follow the Percentage of Income model,
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Nevada follows the CCPA limits on withholding:

The withholding limits set by the federal CCPA are as follows:
    50% Supports a second family, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
    55% Supports a second family, and more than 12 weeks in arrears
    60% Single, with no arrears or < 12 weeks in arrears
    65% Single, and is more than 12 weeks in arrears.

I think any (disposable) income, including disability income, is subject to withholding in Nevada. Since Nevada guidelines follow the Percentage of Income model,
    The order is out of California, They will try to take it if they find it. If your brother has medical needs for the money he may be able to argue that the amount for medical need be set aside. His biggest problem is the 10% interest that is applied to his arrears. With that total its $5,000.00 per year going to nothing. So even with an adjustment to the level of support taken he may be paying child support for the rest of his life. The law has made it a life sentence to have children and lose custody in courts. Many courts (California is one of them) like to treat men as walking wallets. Also the child support agency from there don't exactly tote the legal line. They will try to get away with what they can so be aware and diligent.
    Ronni66 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
    So, from what both of you are saying is that 65% of the Back Pay will be taken? We know he will have to pay the 65% out of the monthly SSDI benefit. Reason he is so worried about them taking the ENTIRE back pay is because he needs 3 surgeries done ( 2 knees and one neck) and will have to have that extra lump sum to help with rehabilitation and other medical needs.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
    So, from what both of you are saying is that 65% of the Back Pay will be taken? We know he will have to pay the 65% out of the monthly SSDI benifit. Reason he is so worried about them taking the ENTIRE back pay is because he needs 3 surgeries done ( 2 knees and one neck) and will have to have that extra lump sum to help with rehabilitation and other medical needs.
    If he gets on SSD and stays on for two years he will be qualified for Medicare benefits paying for his surgeries and rehab care if the knees are the reason he's on disability so he won't need the extra money to pay for that.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
    So, from what both of you are saying is that 65% of the Back Pay will be taken? We know he will have to pay the 65% out of the monthly SSDI benifit. Reason he is so worried about them taking the ENTIRE back pay is because he needs 3 surgeries done ( 2 knees and one neck) and will have to have that extra lump sum to help with rehabilitation and other medical needs.
    I had said they will most likely try to take 100%. If he wants or needs money back he may have to fight the system for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssdi child benefit and child support arrears [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, can the ssdi child benefit be used to offset the child support arrears that had accumilated before the onset date of disability?

Child support arrears and SSDI in PA [ 3 Answers ]

Can Domestic Relations take a disabled persons SSDI (their only income) for child support arrears?

I get ssi and have child support order of arrears, do I still have to pay my monthly [ 4 Answers ]

I get ssi, and have a court ordered payment for arrears for child support. Do I have to keep paying my monthly payment

Child collecting back pay from parent ssdi and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My dad is disabled and child support and disabilty have been taking money out of his ssd check every month for my sister and I, but being in foster care there has been no payee for either of these for the past several years. I'll be 18 this year and my dad told me I could collect the money that's...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

View more questions Search