Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redkendog Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Kitchen sink leaking into crawl space?
    Backed up kitchen sink is draining to outside and down into crawl space. There is no water in the cabinet under the sink. The sink does not clear, but does eventually drain... down to crawl space (subfloor is pretty saturated) and outdoors apparently. Plunging does nothing.

Side note, a few months back we had a sump failure and after replacement of the pump, I found that the drain line from the sump is blocked. I rerouted that line and have not done anything to open it to date.

Is it possible that the same drain line from the sump pump as the kitchen sink/disposal is blocked? That said, the pump line goes out of the house and into the ground whereas the kitchen drain line goes down to crawl space and then cuts across the length of the house.

Forgive me if anything seems obvious... I am simply trying to learn and DIY it
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 2, 2011, 11:18 AM

Unless it's something I haven't run into in the last 50 years the sump discharges out on the lawn or in a ditch while the sink discharges into a drain line to the septic tank or the sewer. The way I read it you have a "S" trap that drains to the floor and not into your wall. Correct?
    Your blockage will be found below and downstream from the trap. Remove the trap and send a snake down into the floor until you can hit the clog. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 12:16 PM

I'm with Tom on this. Sump pumps and kitchen sinks are not on the same line, legally that is. An S trap is no longer allowed by most codes for several reasons, primarily siphonong and allowing sewer gas to enter the sink/home.

Aug 2, 2011, 04:08 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Thank you, Tom, for your speedy response. The drain DOEs go into the wall and then down to the crawl. Again, the inside of the sink cabinet is bone dry. I have a couple pictures of both the under sink and crawl where it is saturated if needed... I didn't see where I could upload them.

I sure was hoping my logic was off... it just seemed coincidental that there was another block on the same side of the house, I need to find out how to unblock that as well!

Should it mean anything to me that there is some what appears to be a small amount of dried gunk on the drain pipe as it exits the floor into the crawl and the disposal doesn't work all that well?

Many thanks for your time!

Aug 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thank you... that makes better sense.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 04:20 PM

OK, no S trap here but you still need to remove the trap and rod straight into that horizontal pipe in the wall
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 04:36 PM

To Post Picture

After making your post, look to the upper right of the answer block and you will "Manage Attachments". Click on Manage Attachment, browse for picture, open, click upload.

If you are on old format, look below Answer block you will see "Go Advanced". Click on Go Advanced, scroll down and click on Manage Attachments, Browse for picture, click open, click upload.

Aug 2, 2011, 06:48 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I will attempt that in the am... stay tuned and thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best type of kitchen faucet when under sink space is limited? [ 2 Answers ]

Currently we have an older delta pull out single lever faucet, but many times the flexible hose that pulls out has gotten caught on dishwasher or water filter hoses, causing the hose to pop off the faucet and flood the floor! The pull out feature is great, but how can one avoid this problem with...

Leaking P trap under kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, It seems the P trap under our kitchen sink is leaking. When I try to tighten the joint, it just spins and will not tighten. I can also move the p trap up and down on the pipe coming down from the sink, it is very loose. We have the black plastic piping(PVC?), no metal. Do I need to place...

Kitchen Sink Leaking From the Counter? [ 10 Answers ]

Earlier this week, the boyfriend and I noticed that we had some wet stuff under our kitchen sink (nothing important, thankfully!). We played a little and discovered that the sink will leak when it is plugged, and it appears to be leaking from up by the counter and then the drops of water slide down...

Kitchen sink sprayer leaking from under sink [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer is leaking from underneath my sink. We just replaced the spray head part. Could it be the hose or what else could it be? Thank you!

View more questions Search