Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heather2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
    How to get dogs to stop peeing in the house
    I have to dogs and 1 is very old and I saved to other one about 4 years ago. And no the two are peeing only in 2 rooms the bathroom and the kitchen floor just the floor
    jessicasmith Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2011, 08:56 PM
    Sience one is old he or she could be marking and when u clean it up they can still smell it so they want to do it again you need to get it profesionaly cleand
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 05:10 PM

What breed(s)/size are they? Are they both neutered/spayed? Are you certain it is both animals?

Do they do this whether you are home or out? How long is it between potty breaks? Do they have access to water all the time? Do they seem to be drinking a lot more than than before the peeing began?

You may want to start by making certain they are both healthy and that neither one is having continence problems, urinary tract infections or other health issues they, in their doggie way, are trying to make you aware of.

Next, did anything change in their environment about the time you noticed this behavior? People moving in or out, new schedule, new baby, etc.

Make certain that you are cleaning the places they pee with a cleaner that is designed to eliminate the odor. Get the entire area as clean as you can. Do not scold them or make any fuss. They don't understand what you would be fussing at them about. It is essentially telling them to hide it instead of let you know when they have to go.

If you catch them in the act, get them outside as quickly as you can once again with as little emotion as possible. When they use the bathroom outside, praise them. Just like with potty training a young pup.

Make certain they are getting out to use the bathroom as often as they need and give lots of praise when they use the bathroom outside.

More than likely, they are attempting to tell you that something is wrong or bothering them. With patience and perseverance, you should be able to determine what the problem is and hopefully easily correct it.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Dogs peeing in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 male dogs, two of them under 3 yrs old. The other dog is 7 years old.. I think one of the younger ones, a Shiz Tsu is doing much of the peeing, but I believe the older one who is very dominant.. sometimes pees over the Shiz Tsu... We have carpet and most of our rooms are ruined. Do...

How do I stop my dogs from peeing in my house [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 Miniature Yorkshire Terriers a ***** and a dog they are doth between 1 and 2 years old. My dog constantly pees on my washing machine in my kitchen and in his bed. It don't matter how many times I let him out he will always pee there especially in the night. I make sure I take his food and...

How can I stop my dogs peeing when I'm at work? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 dosg - 1yr old lab & 11mth old cocker spaniel. They sleep upstairs with me and can hold their pee/poo all night - 8 or more hrs. I'm out at work for up to 5hrs in the day and they are shut into the kitchen. They are street walked before work and taken to the field after work. They pee/poo...

How do I keep my two dogs from peeing in the house [ 2 Answers ]

How do I keep my dog from peeing in the house

Dogs won't stop peeing in house and behavior changes [ 2 Answers ]

We own two dogs. One is named Bear, she is a 9 month old flat coat retriever. We adopted her from a fellow college student back in December. The other dog we named Foxie and she is a two year old retirever mix we adopted from the humane society about a month ago. We made sure the two dogs got...

View more questions Search