Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelley reeves Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
    No water pressure well?
    We have a old house, built back in the 50's. It has a shallow well. We have no water pressure. We can not do any two things at once. And filling the washing machine takes forever. We were talking about replacing tank, and then maybe having the well punched a little deeper. Any suggestions to try before we redrill.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 04:18 PM

How many pipes go into the well, one or two?

I don't think a new tank will do any good. You have a volume problem, in that your pump does not seem able to supply a good flow of water. So the question is, why is that? Do you know how old the pump is?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 06:31 AM
    This definitely sounds like a pumping problem. The impeller in the pump could be very worn and too much water is leaking past it and the pressure switch could be bad... age of the pump has a lot to do with this,,
    kelley reeves Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
    The pump itself is probably 8 or 9 years old. The well was not used for several years, no one lived in the house for probalby 5 plus years until we moved in. We primed the pump and it works just has no pressure.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Comment on kelley reeves's post
    The seal on the impeller is probably dried out. It is possible to take it apart to see if the seal can be replaced or disconnect the pump completely and take it to a motor/pump repair company. Most plumbing supply places can do this for you. A new pump would probably solve your problem.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 09:53 AM

Kelly, you are saying there is no pressure. What you probably mean is that there is insufficient volume. Let's do a simple check.

1. When no water is being used and the pump is off, what does the pressure gauge read?
    2. Find the nearest faucet to the pressure tank. Run water into a 5 gallon bucket. See how many gallons you get in one minute. Do this three or four times in a row. You should be able to get at least four or five gallons a minute steadily. Can you?
    3. Again, how many pipes go into the well from the pump, one or two?
    4. Do you have a filter or water softener that is on the water line?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure on a kitchen sink, good cold water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single faucet sink where the cold water pressure is fine and all other sinks have good hot and cold water pressure. I replaced the kitchen faucet two years ago along with new lines. As of late I'm getting very little hot water pressure along with having to run the water for about 10...

Low water pressure-copper pipe-city pressure has been checked-pressure low at any fix [ 20 Answers ]

Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets. City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso. They checked meter and was OK. I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also. House built in 1972. Problem started 6 months ago. I am at whits...

Hot water pressure down in spite of strong cold water pressure. [ 0 Answers ]

I have already cleaned the Megaflo cold water valve unit. The Megaflo Heatrae Sadia is only 3/5 years old. What should I do?

New Water Heater~ now no water pressure, pressure tank won't stay on... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday, we had our hot water heater replaced as it was 18 years old. The utility company sent their plumbing contractor to take the old one our and put in the new one. Before they arrived our water was perfectly fine. After they left, we had no water. Basically told my wife, sorry we...

Does the pressure from the hot water tank effect the pressure of the cold water? [ 2 Answers ]

We have very low water pressure at our kitchen sink from both the cold and hot water faucets, but no problem with the water pressure to the bathroom or washer. The cold water tank is closest to the kitchen and the hot water heater is near the bathroom and washer. Someone told my roommate that there...

View more questions Search