Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rweaver722 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Neutered 10 month old dog extended his penis the other day and could not walk
    My dog extended his penis out the other day and could not walk after that and now he is urinating while sleeping or laying around
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2011, 12:41 PM

There is a medical term for that and I cannot think of it for the life of me...

But, a intact male dog will typically do that, but can correct it themselves. If he hasn't been able to correct it then you're going to have to take him to the vet, especially if he was recently neutered. Surgical wounds aren't completely healed for at least 3-4 weeks to ensure that the tissue is strong enough to hold. He's peeing in his sleep because he probably can't help it. I'm sure its pushing on his ureters that connect to the bladder.

Vet.. Now. He's uncomfortable
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
    I can't for the life of me think of the term either. Does his penis go back to normal? Or does it continue to stay visible? I agree that he probably needs to see the vet. But in the meantime you may need to lubricate the tissues if his penis is staying out for extended periods. K-Y is the best thing for this, no lotions or potions, they could be irritating, and the K-Y is cleaner coming out of the tube. After applying the K-Y you may be able to replace the skin around the penis, Gently, don't tug or pull. This is not a "fix" mind you, it's worth a look by your Vet. It will merely keep the delicate tissues from getting dry and irritated.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:56 PM

LadySam and Lucky, are you thinking of Priapism (erection that won't go down) or Paraphinosis (when the penis can't retract back into the sheath after being excited)? Causes of Excessive Dog Erection - VetInfo

From what I am reading, it definitely sounds like a trip to the vet is the best option.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 02:03 PM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    Yes, Paraphinosis, thanks!

Jul 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
    He was able to retract after the incident but since then he has been peeing in sleep or just still.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Comment on Lucky098's post
    It's called 'paraphimosis'
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Still worth a trip to the vet. That condition just HAS to cause a fair amount of inflammation in the urethra due to the circulatory involvement, and he may have an infection either there or in the bladder.

If it happens again and doesn't easily go back, you may take a cloth, like a wash cloth, wet it thoroughly, pour a layer of sugar on it and hold the sugared area against the exposed tissues until they slip back over the exposed penis.

Yes, it does work. The sugar solution draws fluids from the adjacent tissues by means of osmosis, reducing the swelling enough to let things return to normal.

Jul 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
    He was neutered at 6 months and he acts normal just the peeing all over the place and drinking a lot. Calling vet in AM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've just had my dog neutered, and I can't keep him still... [ 1 Answers ]

I had my dog neutered at a low cost clinic, it seems impossible to keep him "calm" and the tip of the incision site is a little red, but is also trying to scab up; and on the 3rd night I've noticed it looks to me it's opening just a little at the tip. The clinic didn't have too many aftercare...

Month to Month vs day to day leases In Califorina [ 4 Answers ]

You hear a lot about the month to month lease. I've heard that if you have someone on a month to month lease and you evict that a person. They can technically stay in your property for 60 to 90days without paying even after the eviction notice. Is this correct? I also once head that if...

My neutered dog is mating! [ 2 Answers ]

Holy cow, what a week with the animals. A few months ago I took in a little stray, wild dog who was abandoned when her former "owners" (ha ha) moved away. She's come into heat. Yesterday I go outside to find my male NEUTERED dog tied to her. Today, same thing. My vet assures me he's shooting...

Dog Neutered [ 3 Answers ]

Our black lab Tiko has just come back from the vet after staying overnight after his surgery... he is doing fine... a little groggy and sore but no other issues... the vet did recommend to limit his activities to on leash walking for a few days... My question is now that he is neutered will we be...

Dog getting neutered [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, we are getting our 8 month old lab neutered on Thursday. He will be staying overnight at the vet. Couple questions that I had: What should we expect behaviour wise when we get him back? Should we be prepared for any abnormalities? We have noticed in the last day that he is trying to...

View more questions Search