Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natalie`s dog Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Deer droppings cause worms if eaten. How can I get my malti-Poo to stop eating them
    How can I get my Malti-Poo to stop eating deer droppings? It causes worms if dogs eat the droppings. Thanks <3
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 23, 2011, 09:40 AM

Don't take him/her where there are deer droppings. I mean the droppings are from a wild animal and unless the puppy is around where the deer are, then there is a problem that can't be dealt with. My dogs never dog worms from horse manure, what can I say. Pick up the deer droppings before your dog gets to them.

You don't have to post twice.

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2011, 09:42 AM

Keep puppy on a leash when outside and don't take the puppy near where the deer poop is. Worms are easily transmitted just by sniffing the poop and not eating it. If you just let puppy out loose in the yard with no supervision you are not doing your duty towards the puppy. Use one of those new pooper scoopers with long handles to pick up the deer poop and dispose of properly.

Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thank you for your answer. I do pick up the droppings the fastest and best I could. Is there any type of deterrant I could use to discourage the deer from coming into my yard other than fencing that you know of?

Jul 23, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Thank you for your answer... I am quite diligent in removing the deer droppings and we follow our puppy around the yard to discourage her from sniffing where I did remove the droppings. . As I`ve researched on line, I found products such as Deer Away and Deer Off along with other deterrants. . Would you happen to know the most effective of the these or any other I may not know about; Other than erecting a fence that is?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM

This may be helpful, maybe not. You obviously have something in your yard they like to eat and this Better Homes & Gardens, lists of plants that deers like.
    I don't know if I would want to buy any type of spray such as Deer Away or Deer Off unless it said specifically it would not harm pets.

Tips for Deterring Deer
    Advice for keeping those unwanted diners out of your yard.

Most roses are the ideal deer snack;
    However, some varieties are deer-
    Resistant.

Many gardeners have had a bellyful of brazen deer. Once they target your yard as a delectable deli, they hop fences, ignore scare tactics, and show up like clockwork to devour plant after plant. They'll trot right up on a porch to chomp off the roses, or stretch high to nibble the Clematis you thought was safe on an arbor.

Hungry deer will eat almost anything -- including occasional forays into the foods listed on our "won't eat" list. It partly depends on what else is available and how hungry the deer are. Deer in different regions have different palates. And the deer in your backyard might be the only one in the neighborhood that enjoys gobbling morning-glories.

But you'll tempt trouble by planting deer favorites, which are often smooth, tender, and flavorful plants. A few taste-bud tantalizers can be enough to lure them into your yard. Some typical deer favorites include:
    Dinner Bells

Shrubs/trees: arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis); azalea (Rhododendron); balsam fir (Abies balsamea); berries; dogwood (Cornus mas); Fraser fir (Abies fraseri); fruit trees; Norway maple; redbud (Cercis canadensis); yew (Taxus).
    Flowers: Chrysanthemum; clematis; daylily; Geum; hyacinth; rose; Trillium; tulip.
    Other: Apples; beans; broccoli; hosta; lettuce; peas; raspberry; strawberry; sweet corn; Vinca minor.

If you have any of these plants in your landscape, consider replacing them, or at least surrounding or camouflaging them
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 25, 2011, 11:32 PM
    Parasites of deer and hoofed animals are usually quite different than those of carnivores, and are not likely to cross infect to canines. Also, intestinal eggs need to be eaten, not sniffed, to infect an animal. Whether it's by eating the droppings, or by licking ground where the stool has been, is potentially infective.

Has your dog been tested and found to have deer parasite eggs in it's own stool?

As for deer repellant, here is a website that is specific for that question.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/pests/deer.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I stop our puppy from eating deer stool? [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do to prevent my 4 month old Malti-Poo from eating deer droppings?

How do I stop my 9 week old puppy from eating its own poo? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I stop my 9 week old puppy eating its own poo?

Found worms in my friend's dog poo [ 1 Answers ]

My bestfriend's dog just pooped and there were worms in it. Trying to find out if anyone knows what kind they are so that she can try and treat them. They are flat, very pale pink.

My dog is eating bird droppings, should I be worried? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female doberman that is 10 years old and recently whenever I let her into the backyard I notice that she is eating bird poop:eek: Are there any health issues that I should be concerned about :confused: and is so how can I prevent this?

Eating Poo [ 1 Answers ]

We have recently bought a black labrador and he is now 10 weeks old. He has a lovely temperament, but in the last few nights he has developed a habit of eating his own faeces during the night and then vomiting it back up. Can anyone offer an explanation to why he does this, or any advice on how...

View more questions Search