Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    studiocitylen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Low flush toilet makes loud whistling noises constantly.
    This happened a few years ago but now has returned.I've been told I have high water pressure,but it's just the one low flow toilet that makes it.I have to turn off water for now,and was hoping not to call a plumber.
    Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 08:17 PM

What is your water pressure? If you do not know go buy a small pressure gauge and bib at the hardware store and attach to your garden spigot. Should be in the ballpark of 45 psi
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 07:39 AM

Agree with Harold. Adjust water pressure first.

The noise is most likely generated by either Fill Valve or Angle Stop. Do this: Close and Open angle stop ( the valve supplying toilet with water ). See if that helped. Then, make sure your supply line is not kinked. Also, there may be debris in fill valve. Close water supply to the toilet. Then, depending on what type of fill valve you have, I would take it apart and flush it clean. Reinstall and see if that helped. Back to you. Milo
    studiocitylen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 04:39 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks for your quick response.I got a gauge and it shows 100 psi!
    So I guess I should have a Pressure Regulator installed?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2011, 09:39 PM

100 psi is high, If you don't have a PRV you would need to install one, Please read the following.

What is considered normal water pressure? There really is no such thing as "normal" water pressure. Since water pressure is influenced by the elevation of the reservoir that serves your neighborhood versus the elevation of your water meter, water pressure varies from property to property. Water pressure in the District typically ranges from 45 - 125 psi; however, typical residential systems are designed to function best under a pressure of 40 - 60 psi. If the water pressure entering you home exceeds this level, you should install a pressure regulator in the line to reduce the pressure to an acceptable range. This protects your equipment and piping in your home from damage from excess force exerted by the water. Symptoms of high pressure include "clanging" or "rattling" of pipes that occur when a faucet, dishwasher, or washing machine shuts off; water heater pressure relief valve malfunctions, and reoccurring leaks. The symptom of low pressure is typically a noticeable reduction of flow.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank overfills, makes noises [ 4 Answers ]

When I flush, the toilet tank overfills above the siphon mechanism, which makes a pulsing swishing sound. I turned the water off at the wall, but when I turn it back on, the siphon mechanism makes loud pulsing noises again and the water heater in the closet about 50 feet away makes loud pulsing...

Loud whistling toilet noise [ 11 Answers ]

Loud whistling toilet noise after the toilet is flushed and stops when it refills. Replaced everything inside the toilet already (water fill valve, flapper, braided steel line etc.) No other faucet, shower or toilet in the house makes any other kind of sound. Replaced the hot water heater recently...

Toilet whistling at odd times, not during flush. [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet is whistling. It does not whistle during a flush, or while filling it up. It does whistle when I shower, when the washing machine is used, when the neighbor downstairs uses water, and randomly at night. I changed the flapper but it still whistles. Whistling began after city came...

Loud whistling sound when toilet is flushed. [ 4 Answers ]

I have one toilet that for some reason, makes a loud whistling sound when I flush it. It starts to make this noise when the flapper drops down and the tank starts to fill up. This noise just started 3 days ago.

Toilet makes loud vibrating sound after flush [ 2 Answers ]

After flushing my bathroom toilet, it produces a loud vibrating sound when the tank is almost filled. I googled the key words and found one of your pages about the problem. The question was made by HBLISS on Aug.25, 2008. On the page there are two images, and my toilet basically matches the...

View more questions Search