Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shiokidog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 01:43 PM
    How to Prime a Water Tank Pump?
    Ok, I have a. O. Smith V60 Aqua Air Water tank with a.O. Smith Pump attached to it.
    Pump model C48A96B67
    1/2 HP Type B

I have had a power outage and the person looking after the house while we were away used the water while the power was out, dropping the pressure.

Now its not working.

I have read there is a valve that protects it from low pressure, that shuts the system down in case of broken pipe. And the pump will have to be re-primed.

Great.

Read on here in a different post that to prime it I need to open the priming hole and fill it to overflowing with water to get the pump running again.

Great.

Which is the priming hole?

The top of the pump has two bolts and a pipe, the bottom has two pipes.
    On the top, the first bolt is hexagonal and has a smaller bolt coming out of it
    The other is sqare.
    The middle is the pipe fitting.

So which of these 3 do I remove in order to fill the pump with water so I can get my water going again?

Thanks.

Update...

Tried removing the pipe coming out of the pump going to the tank, then filling it with water. Thing either holds a lot of water or its going right down into the well.
    Tried filling it while it is switched on, still swallowed water, and I believe it burped once, it seemed to backwash for a second and then nothing, so I tried it a few more times, still only one burp of water (either that or I filled it too quick and it just back flowed that way) but still it didn't seem to want to do anything.

If after the person used the water and the electricity came back on and the pump ran for about an hour, without pressure, how badly could that have damaged it?? It humms away like its working. But no flow.

Still need help with this.

2ND UPdate...

Tried the square bolt/plug, opened it up, tried to fill it with water, wouldn't fill, dumped about 2 litres in there.. nothing. I figure it must be going back down into the well, possible?
    Would that mean the foot valve is gone? So I digging I will go? Maybe?

Advise?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 23, 2008, 07:02 AM
    2ND UPdate...
    Tried the square bolt/plug, opened it up, tried to fill it with water, wouldn't fill, dumped about 2 litres in there.. nothing. I figure it must be going back down into the well, possible?
    Would that mean the foot valve is gone? So I digging I will go? Maybe?
    If the impeller cage will not hold water it's a indication that you have a faulty check/foot valve. Is there a check valve on top of the surface on the suction line? If not, you're looking to replace the foot valve , but before I dug up the wellpoint I would install a check valve on the suction line . Good luck, Tom
    Shiokidog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Well this morning we put more water down the pump, (good thing we had a pool to steel it from) wondering if the line was empty, well after 4 more gallons it finally filled and overflowed. And held. So we capped it, and turned it back on. Eureka! After a couple of hiccups it started to gain pressure. And when it almost hit 50 it stopped..

WE HAVE WATER AGAIN!

I will have to look into getting that check valve put in closer to the top so it won't take so much water to fill it next time.

Thanks
    p.bettinni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 06:20 AM

What is an impeller cage? I don't know where to put the water?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well water pump-how to Prime or bleed it? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: When running the water.. every few minutes.. it will stop for a few seconds.. and you will hear it start up again. This has just started to happen in the last few months.. and I was told it might need to be primed or blead. I have no idea how to do this! Will I need to contact...

How do I prime my water pump? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I live in a rental property with one water source that supplies 2 units. Our power went out today and now the water does not work. The pump will need to be primed now to get the water running again, but I'm not sure how to do that. I cannot get in touch with the landlord right now and I...

Do I need to hook air to a bladder tank to get a prime on a non submersable pump [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to hook air to a bladder tank to bleed it

Water pump will not prime [ 2 Answers ]

My outside water pump will not prime. I loose prime every time the eltric goes out. Please help. I have no water.

Prime water pump [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know how to prime a well water pump? Thank you, Luz

View more questions Search