Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonofhoyt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
    What should I do with a water pressure surge from well water?
    My water is surging, toilet running, faucets, sprinkler, etc. Any water source. I don't have a holding tank. The line goes from well, to water softener tank, to the house.
    Any idea what may be causing this?
    Thanks.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 12:06 PM

I think you are missing something. There is bound to be a pressure tank somewhere. If not, then how does your pump "know" when to cut on or off?

Is your pump in the well or above ground?

Jul 15, 2011, 12:41 PM

Not sure. I have a fake rock covering it. Under the fake rock is a spigot valve and a 6" pipe running down to the ground. The former owner told me the well was 200' deep. As far as a holding tank, in the crawl space I have a tank (about 15 gal) that I assumed was the water sofner. Then that goes to what looks like a water heater. Perhaps that is the holding tank?

Jul 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    Not sure. I have a fake rock covering it. Under the fake rock is a spigot valve and a 6" pipe running down to the ground. The former owner told me the well was 200' deep. As far as a holding tank, in the crawl space I have a tank (about 15 gal) that I assumed was the water sofner. Then that goes to what looks like a water heater. Perhaps that is the holding tank?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 07:28 PM

What you are calling a holding tank is more correctly a pressure tank. These tanks must have a cushion of air at the top of the tank. As water is pumped into the tank, the air is compressed. That is where your system pressure comes from. Most of these tanks have a flexible membrane in the tank to separate the air from the water. If the membrane (bladder) ruptures, then the air begins to dissolve, over a period of weeks, into the water. Once most of the air is gone, that is what is called "waterlogged". This will cause the pressure to go up and down rapidly, which sounds like your deal. Your tank probably has an air valve, like on a car tire, towards the top. Press the inner stem of the valve for several seconds. If water comes out, then you know the tank is shot and needs to be replaced.

If that is the case, then you can buy a little time by turning off the system, draining off the pressure through a faucet, and using an air compressor to put 25# or so of air pressure into the tank. Do replace the tank quickly. The rapid turning off/on of the pump will burn a pump out if you're not careful.

I think you will find this site helpful: http://inspectapedia.com/water/Water...s.htm#Bladders

If you do have to replace the tank, then consider one larger than 15 gallons. A larger tank will be better for your pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure surge [ 4 Answers ]

First, this seems like a great forum with helpful folks and I look forward to contributing as well. I have been trying to troubleshoot lots of leaking faucets, which I think is caused by too much pressure at times. The house is about 6 years old in Florida, on a well. There is about 150 feet...

Surge of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a new submerisble pump that is in a dug well. The pump was just replaced and seems to run fine. However, I have been experiencing a surge of water pressure from a solid steady flow to almost a trickle anytime that any water is used, showers, toilets or sinks. I feel like it...

Brief surge in water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Lately, when I turn any faucet in my home, there is a brief surge in water pressure that dissipates to a normal flow of water from the faucet after about 1 second. If I close the faucet, wait a few seconds, and then re-open the faucet, the surge does not occur. However, if I wait a few...

Initial surge in water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

Earlier this week the plumber came to fix the toilets in our house. He did a minor rebuild on two of them (not sure this has anything to do with our problem, but it started as soon as the plumber left). While he was here, he measured the water pressure and told us it was 80psi (same as we'd been...

View more questions Search