Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minnie12 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Car dies while driving
    I have no clue what is wrong with my car. I will be driving and it will just shut off. Everything except the radio and lights will stay on. I can restart the car. Yesterday I had to get a new battery because it would not start at all so I thought that might have been the problem, but last night it died 2 times. Today it died once so far. Please help:(
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Make and model and year? Not that I know anything about U.S cars but it could be a fault in the computer - my sister bought a lemon a few years ago that did the same thing (the dealer was very helpful though and gave her a replacement car - decent guy).

If it is the computer, you have a problem: they are damned expensive to replace (though you might get a used one). It could also be a change made to the wiring; have the electrics been modified at all lately? Mercedes, for example, are notorious for being deliberately designed to totally cut out if the wiring is touched by anyone other than their own approved mechanics (and they are very expensive).

Take it to a local mechanic first (just tell him it cuts out on you, and ask him to give you a quote for the price of inspecting the vehicle), maybe it's something minor.

Feb 10, 2007, 12:28 AM
    My car is a 1999 honda accord I wish I could get a new one that would be great, but my car is to old for that to happen. I was trying to get away from taking it to the mechanic just cause I know that will be pricey to. I also read some where on the web it could be something with the ignition so I don't know well see.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 10, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Have you checked the spark plugs?
    I doubt the plugs themselves are to blame, but if they are too oily/black/white, it will give you a clue as to where the problem is.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Is your 1999 Accord a DX, LX, or EX? Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? How many miles do you have on the car?

Basically, I would:

1. Replace the Ignition Control Module (igniter), coil, and rotor. The igniter is likely the cause of your problem. However, while you have the distributor open, it's best to replace the coil and rotor.
    2. Replace distributor cap and spark plugs (NGK only).

Here's what the igniter looks like:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Control%20Unit

Feb 10, 2007, 12:16 PM
    My honda is a ex 4 cylinder and it has 111,900 miles on it.

My step dad said that it could be something with the ignition to, thanks for the help he is going to look at it today or tomorrow.

Feb 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Does anyone think that it could be the fuel pump causing this? Or the fuel filter?
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Replacing the fuel filter is a good idea. It definitely can cause a car to die, particularly if you don't change them every 60,000 miles on Hondas. 90% of the time, however, these type of problems are electrical-related, not fuel.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Minnie12, verify that the back of the igniter was coated with silicone grease before installation. I forgot to mention that. If this is not done, the igniter will shortly fail. Silicone grease helps transfer heat away from the igniter.

Feb 12, 2007, 12:09 AM
    We actually did all of what you said and my car has not died out.. thanks so much.. we did not get the ignition (igniter) but we changed everything else and it is not dying. The one problem that I am having now is that when I put the key in the ignition and turn it a little bit to where the lights on the dash where the speedomoter is and the radio turn on but not the car well the lights don't come on just the radio like it is shorting out. And when I start the car it sometimes will turn right back off unless I hold the key a little longer and it will stay on.. a guy at the shop says that he is pretty sure that it is the ignition switch under the steering wheel that is not I guess responding to the key.. does that sound right to you?
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Yes, definitely sounds like the ignition switch and harness needs replacing.

Feb 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Well, my car died again!! while driving yesterday... then when I got home it just wouldn't start... so this morning I towed it to the shop and they changed the ignition switch and the car still didn't start... so then to come to find out after all this troubles with the car it was my starter also... I had to get a new starter today... so the main cause of this they said was the ignition switch and that made the starter go out I guess... crazy...
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 08:50 PM
    You should be in good shape now.
    garyk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Minnie, sounds exactly like an ignition switch problem. A friend had the same symptoms you described, on a 1999 Honda Civic DX. Car would die at random times but easily be restarted. It got to the point, that her car would not stay on unless she held the ignition switch key on manually. She had it replaced four days ago and she has not had any problems since. A minor issue is that she has to use one (new) key for the ignition switch and her original key for the doors/trunk because she didn't want the added cost of changing out all the cylinder locks.

Opps, sorry missed her prior post.
    SPMechanic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
    If the problem returns for any reason the next thing that can cause this problem is the main relay under the driver dash. Hope you already solved the problem though.
    geonracer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
    Yeah I am having this problem now and I have a crx it shuts off when I drive and then I wait like a minute it drives like a champ! But it does it every so often. So we have the similar problem. I was thinking the relay but its clicking and all my lights work. Its like the fuel is screwed up like its not getting enough.
    darealtazstud22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 06:26 PM

OK I have a96 pontiac grand prix and it cuts off while I'm driving and I put it in park then restarts it and it cuts off again can someone tell me what's wrong?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 06:34 PM

. Check for codes.

. Check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

. Check/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM).

. Ensure platinum spark plugs (ACDelco only) have been replaced in the last 50,000 miles.

. Ensure spark plug wires are in good shape and not shorting out.
    Nikky11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 02:48 AM
    Hi

Can you please help me that my car is suddenly stoping in between after 30-40km pass on in a/c I don't know what problem and after a half and hour again it starts.
    Again same problem so what is the exact problem can you please guide me what to do

Santro 1999 Zip

And I think its problem with my fuel pump because I didn't changed it still now if any problem with fuel pump will it stops like this I just want to confirm
    Uber Member

May 25, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Nikky11, sounds like an electrical problem (e.g. a failing Ignition Control Module). Need to know year, make, and engine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Light on, car dies? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem I have an 89 cavalier the engine runs great until I turn the lights on or put it in gear or step on the break the car dies like I had a kill switch on it but it does not have an alarm installed. I think a wire is grounding out on something I changed the head gasket recently and...

Driving car w/o insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Can you drive a car that you just bought the same day to work with out insurance? In illions

Neighbor's LOUD RC car toy driving me nuts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is there a way to intercept my neighbor's remote control car toy signal? He drives me nuts with this extremely LOUD toy. The guy is maried, about 24 with a kid and owns the house next to me. I've closed the front door, all the windows and the noise still pierces through my house. I've talked...

View more questions Search