Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berrycasa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 02:40 PM
    How can I help my teenage daughter eat healthy?
    My daughter is 18 and is addicted to sugar. She spends her own money on junk food like chips and candy and sodas, because I won't buy it. She is depressed and lethargic. She is on antidepressants as well as ADHD medicine. She sits around and eats sugar and generally feels terrible all the time. I'm convinced a healthy diet would help her. How can I help her?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 02:41 PM

Where does "her own money" come from?

Is she taking her meds correctly -- at the correct times and dosage?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 02:55 PM

So what is your choice, does she live in your home ?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2011, 04:02 PM

Its her money, her choice. You can encourage, you cn refuse to buy for her, you can set a good example, but you can't MAKE her eat how you want her to eat. I feel for you hon, I spent all my teen years and young adult years eating like crap and now at almost 30 I am 5'3 250lbs, and paying the price for it. I hope she will not have to learn the way I did, but all you can do is help, you can't make her do it.

Good luck hon!
    kArEnKnOwS Posts: 12, Reputation: 6

Jul 9, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Boy, can I relate! My daughter started doing the same thing at around 18. Now she is 21 and probably 50+ lbs. overweight, depressed, and anti-social (when she should be having the time of her life!).

All I can say, is DON'T DO WHAT I DID.. . Nothing! I tried but not hard enough! It was tough and I gave up too easily. If I had it to do over again, I'd definitely keep trying until I found something that worked.

Maybe you could find out what physical activity she enjoys and somehow get her involved in it (maybe get the entire family involved). Make it fun. Try to make healthy meals that would appeal to her. Ask her to help you find a yummy healthy recipe to try (or tweak an unhealthy favorite of hers into a healthier version). Does she enjoy cooking? Maybe tell her, "I NEED your help . . . would you please chop this vegie for me?".

The most difficult (but probably the most effective) advice I'd give is to lead by example. When you are eating your healthy foods, really make it obvious that you are enjoying it immensely, and let her overhear you telling someone how energetic and healthy you feel. - just an idea.

I wish I had more direct and precise advice for you.. . Good Luck!
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2011, 04:10 PM

Karenknows, I agree with you and it is hard, but what I am afraid of with the aproach of keep fighting it, is eventually the daughter will hate her mother and stop speaking to her. Pushing too hard can be just as bad as doing nothing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2011, 04:07 AM
    What do you mean, her own money? Start charging your ADULT daughter rent, and she won't be able to afford to buy it. Where is she getting her own money, a job? Disability?

(I lived on junk food through parts of my 20s, except during times when I went to the other extreme and made very healthy meals. When you're young you don't feel the difference as much as when older.)

It seems to me that the medications aren't working too, and it's possible that they are having contrary effects. Far, far too many of them are being thrown down young peoples' throats with side effects that are worse than any good effects. Get a second opinion, and ask for her to be monitored for a month with no drugs at all. (Notice that I'm not suggesting that you try that on your own, since withdrawal can be awful if sudden, and it may not be appropriate for her anyway.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I eat sugar and lose wieght, eat healthy and gain? [ 2 Answers ]

OK don't tll me its not possible because rest assure you its happening to me. I live with my boyfriend. Were young and money is tight... very tight. Sometimes we can afford to go major food shopping sumetimes we cant. We always have food but sometimes its more of junk food. Now I have a HUGE...

How to eat healthy and lose weight [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to lose weight and do it right. I want to know what kind of food will help me lose weight and get all the nutrition I need.

What is more healthy for dog to eat? [ 12 Answers ]

I just watched a documentry on dried dog food, and I'm shocked! Do you know how much processed garbage goes into the food, they get the worst picks of the food, rotton fruit and veggies, end pieces of meat, anything they can't sell for meat goes to pet food. How can people say pet food is...

If I eat 2 hamburgers in one week is it healthy [ 8 Answers ]

If I eat 1. 14 french fries in 2 weeks 2. a slice of apple pie every other day 3. 2 hambugers in 2 weeks 4. a salad every day(varies fron chicken,ceaser,and fruit) 5. a aplle or banana allternating every day Is this healthy??

My beagle won't eat healthy [ 3 Answers ]

I have an almost 1 year old beagle.When we first got him he ate his normal dried dog food normally.He kind of got bored and sick of it since it was the same thing over and over,so we tried giving him some things like pasta or chicken or soup,I'm not sure if its good enough but my parents have also...

View more questions Search