Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Freezer maybe going - do I need to buy a new frig.
    Last night I noticed my ice cream turned into soup. I turned my freezer knob to its coolest level and this morning I didn't see a difference in the ice cream, however my frozen meats are still frozen solid.

Could I fix the freezer myself and if so, what do I need to do? If its something I need to hire a professional for, what would he do and how much do you think I will be spending. I don't want to get ripped off.

The refrigerator is working fine.

Thanks in advance,
    Scotty
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Look under refrigerator and see if it is stopped up with dirt and dust. Remove screws on back holding cover on bottom rear. Then blow out dust and dirt and spray coils with water (after unplugging unit) to wash rest of dirt off coils. Clean the fan also. This will probably cure your problem Make sure to replace cover like it was. When you clean it you will also have to remove front cover on bottom of unit. If unit is not cleaned it will ruin your refrigerator. DrTom4444
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
    Thank you so much. I'll give it a go on Tues (when I have a minute) and let you know. Scott
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Comment on Scotty13's post
    I would not wait that long. The refrigerator can burn up the compressor really fast when it shows those symptoms. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE frig running constantly and food in freezer very frosty [ 1 Answers ]

My GE frig runs constantly. Only 5 years old. Made a banging sound a few months ago, once. It has auto defrost. Freezer food is very frosty (snowy). Not dusty underneath. Checked temp controls. Did trouble shooting from booklet. Still nothing. Now the frig won't hold temperature, maybe 50. Freezer...

Frig/freezer inconsistent temps [ 2 Answers ]

Whirlpool side by side, having trouble regulating temps, will get warm, then I adjust the controls and the compressor starts, then cools off too much. Seems to work OK for a while then is either high temps or low temps. Checked condenser coils and they are clean. Have not been over adjusting the...

Can I plug a Freezer and a Frig into the same outlet? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to add a Freezerless refrigerator to my garage which already has an upright freezer. I would like to plug it into the same GFI outlet. Is this too much for one outlet to handle? Should these be "stand-alone"?

View more questions Search