Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kd3yt1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Thermostat or Furnace?
    Ever since the cold spell has settled in here in central Pa, I have been having a problem.
    Thermostat is good ole Honeywell, round, mechanical. I do not know what make or model furnace is. We bought the house last May and home inspector told us furnace looked to be around 15 yrs old. He did say the furnace looked to be in good condition. I have looked over furnace and can not find any information on it. There is one spot where there was a sticker, but sticker is gone. Furnace is gas, forced air.

The problem is the thermostat is set for 74 degrees and the furnace cuts off at 68 degrees.
    The 68 degrees is the reading on lower half of thermostat. I also have a digital thermoter on my computer desk and it is reading 68 degrees. Thermostat has been accurate within a degree or two up to this last cold spell set in.

My question is: Does this sound like a furnace or thermostat problem? Should I just try replacing the thermostat first before I call for a service call?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 09:17 AM
    That good old round stat most likely has a mercury bubble inside to make its call for heat. Remove the round bezel and you should see the bubble. There are 2 or three mounting screws that hold the stat to the wall but also allow slight rotation. Loosen the screws and a slightly rotate the stat until the bubble makes a connection, you should see a momentary blue spark in the bubble. That spark should occur at a point when the room temp is about 1 or 2 degrees below current room temp.

Feb 11, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Update:

We got up yesterday morning and temp in house was 60 deg. Thermostat was set at 75 deg. I set the thermostat for 85 deg. This brought the temp up to 64 deg. I ran to Home Depot and purchased another Honeywell CT87K round manual thermostat. I cleaned the end of wires at furnace end and thermostat end. Read 24 volts at thermostat. After I installed the new thermostat, I set it at 75 degs and waited to see what happened. The furnace kicked on and when it kicked off it was 64 degrees in house. The furnace is still cycling about 6 times an hour. We put an electric space heater in room for the evening. After awhile the room temp did come up to 75 degs. According to the thermometer on thermostat. Shut space heater off when we went to bed and was anxious to see what the room was when we go up. Room was 69 degrees this morning, this with thermostat still set at 75 degs.

Shouldn't furnace keep running until temp hit within 2 degs of thermostat setting? And what in furnace would cause it to shut down below what it should?

I for sure will not mess with the furnace, will call a tech, but was just wondering what could cause this problem...

Feb 11, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Did forget to mention that outside temp these past morning has been 8 or 9 degrees F.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 10:47 AM
    It is very easy to sort out furnace/thermostat problems. I am referring you to the sticky because it is a great resource once you determine what to work on.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post268260

The administration is encouraging experts to set up stickies in their forum. Among other advantages, it allows people to get the best AMHD has even when the expert is off line.
    hooneybob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 04:00 PM
    My forced air heating/air conditioning unit is 18 years old, this winter I have to set the thermostat at 77 degrees and the thermometer on the honeywell thermostat registers 77 degrees and cuts off as required but my house is still cold, especially in the furtherest room. What could be the problem,I had a new A-Coil installed last summer and the air conditioning works great and cools the entire hous as programmed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Sounds like you could have two problems both based on insulation. Your home mayneed additional insulation. It is usually easiest and most effective to add batts to your attic. If you air ducts run through any unheated basement or crawl space you can add ridgid insulation to the ducts. In the meantime, try partially closing the supply registers closer to the furnace and the stat. This will force ,ore warm air to the far end of your run. Here is a side question. When you're a coil was installed did they do anything to the blower?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP house furnace thermostat? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace will come on with heat SOMETIMES and sometimes it WILL NOT? If I turn thermostat Down and then Up... it come on. Works for a few hours and then may or may not come back on? This is Thermostate problem or Furnace problem? Anything I can check? Thanks,

Furnace thermostat needs 24 v wire [ 6 Answers ]

My new White Rogers programmable furnace stat says it needs 24 v dc to run it. I installed it and am using the 2 AA batteries to power it, but I have 4 wires coming in now. I have A/C. The stat is running OK now but if I take the batteries out the display goes dead. I don't know how to run 24 v...

Wiring a furnace thermostat to manually operate the furnace fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have two wires connected to my furnace thermostat. There is a place labeled G on the thermostat. Can I simply run a wire from the G terminal on my thermostat to the terminal labeled G on my furnace fan relay to operate the fan separately?

Furnace not staying on.. Only with thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, It seems if I cross the red/white wires my furnace will run all day but when I hook up a thermostat (programabel, non-prog, mercury.. etc etc, I have tried 7). It just won't keep the house warmer than 60 deg. It will turn on and off repeatedly and with some themostats just not work all...

View more questions Search