Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtmmwright Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
    Hunter Fan not working - brand new fan with remote
    We just purchased a Type 2 Highbury Hunter fan from Home Depot. It comes with a remote. We have followed all the wiring directions in the booklet, but fan does not work. Light works but not fan. Our ceiling wiring has an extra wire (red), so we hooked that up to light wires and light started working. Can we not hook all black wires and white wires (from ceiling, receiver (remote) and fan) and it will all work? The instructions have us running some from the fan to the ceiling and some from the receiver to the fan.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 09:04 PM

There is a couple of ways that the wall switch and the ceiling box can be wired. Also in some instances there is one switch on the wall. In other instances there are two switches, one for the fan and one for the fan.

Tell us how many switches you have and how many wires you have in the ceiling and what colors.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 07:24 AM

I agree with Harold, sounds like you have a second wall switch somewhere making this a "3 way" switch. Black and red from ceiling get wire nutted to the black input of the receiver. I think your bigger error is on the output side of the receiver since you can get the light to work. Output of the receiver has a black, white, blue and green or bare ground, right?

Jun 27, 2011, 08:22 AM

We have two switches on the wall - one that works the fan as a whole (light and fan) and the other works the upside down wall outlet in the bedroom. There is one black, white and red coming from the ceiling. We connected white from ceiling to white from receiver labeled Neutral In. We connected black from ceiling to black wire on receiver labeled Live In. We connected the black with white stripe from fan to red wire from ceiling and red wire from receiver labeled Light Out. We connected black from fan to black from receiver labeled Fan Out and we connected White from fan to the white from receiver labeled Common Out. This was all very confusing. WE have never purchased a Hunter Fan before and quite frankly I am thinking I may never purchase another. The cheaper fans have never given us any problems like this before.

Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 AM

We connected white from ceiling to white from receiver labeled Neutral In.
    Correct

We connected black from ceiling to black wire on receiver labeled Live In.
    Correct

We connected black from fan to black from receiver labeled Fan Out
    Correct

We connected the black with white stripe from fan to red wire from ceiling and red wire from receiver labeled Light Out
    Incorrect.
    Connect the black with white stripe which I presume is the fan light wire to the red wire from receiver labeled Light Out only.

we connected White from fan to the white from receiver labeled Common Out
    That should be correct. The label "Common out" is confusing. We have to assume that the this really means "Neutral Out". If everything does not function properly after making wiring changes, connect the white from the fan to the white from the ceiling along with the white from the remote. Cap the "Common Out" with a wire nut

Cap the red from the ceiling with a wire nut.

The white from the ceiling is neutral. One of the other wires, black or red, probably black, is hot all the time. The other one, probably red, is hot only when the switch is in the on position.

The instructions were probably written in another language and then translated to English. Translations are sometimes incorrect.

Jun 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Ok - thank you for the responses. I will try this after we receive a new receiver box. I was on the phone with Hunter most of the morning and they said they have had problems with the remote receivers and will send me a new one because the fan works fine when the receiver is not in the picture. I also found it quite interesting that the lady on the phone said we may have fried the receiver box because we did not first pull the light chain and fan chain one time before we turned on the switch. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention that we had to do that nor have we ever had to do that with any other fan we installed. But, maybe some good advice for any other person who has purchased a Hunter fan - pull each chain once right out of the box before you connect any wiring! I may have my husband try your suggestions above with the receiver we have anyway to see if for some reason the receiver is not bad. And yes, the instructions probably were in another language because the booklet is in several languages. Thanks again!!

Jun 27, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Thanks for all the responses. I was on the phone with Hunter most of the morning. They say we may have fried the receiver box because we did not first pull the light chain and fan chain one time before we hooked up power. I did not know we had to do that because nowhere in the booklet does it say that. They are sending us a new receiver, but I may have my husband try your suggestions anyway to see if the bad receiver thing really is not the case. And yes, the instructions probably were translated from another language because there are several othersn in the booklet as well. Thanks again!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 08:50 PM

I have never heard any such poppy cock from a manufacturers help line, they must be getting a little loosey goosey over seas.

Jun 28, 2011, 06:05 AM

I agree with Bob. What you were told make no logical sense what so ever. Only question is what is the meaning of "Common Out."

Suggest that before mounting new remote module you check circuitry. Connect module to power source. Connect white to Neutral In. Connect black to Live In. Using remote to turn fan and light on. With the a meter check for voltage between Fan Out and the white power source. Should read 120V. Check between Light Out and white power source. Should read 120V. Check for voltage between Common Out and white of power source. If you get voltage that means that the Common Out is common to both the fan and the light out. In other words it is on when either the fan or the light is on. Can't imagine you having that but it may be.

Check for voltage between the Fan out and the Common Out and check for voltage between the Light out and the Common Out. If you have voltage that means that the Common Out is a common neutral. Don't know why you would have that but you may.

You could Test present module if you want to confirm its operation.
    castle555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2013, 09:13 AM
    Yes, I bought a new fan in march 2012. And experienced the same type of problem
    Still trying to figure out how to make the lights work. I took the remote control out completely and still no lights. One wall switch for the previous ceiliing light.
    The switch question? Try this set of instructions and read the section about the fan switch position. Although the instructions are for a different model fan, it is 'Hunter'.
    How can one even tell which position the fan speed is in without power, and they want you to set it before connections?

http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFiles/Support/Downloads/41316.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a Hampton Bay Fan or HarborB remote work to replace a Hunter fan remote control? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a used Hunter fan Model 23530 and it is missing the remote control Model 85095-01, Freq: 350Mhz, Battery 12V, Type 23A, MN-21 or equivalent. I have several Hampton Bay fan remotes that work. I also have a Harbor Breeze fan remote that I could use. They have the same functions and...

Hunter ceiling fan with remote only: light works but the fan doesn't. [ 0 Answers ]

My mom's house has a Hunter ceiling fan, (I don't know the model #), that has 4 lights and fan. It operates with a remote only. The remote will work the lights, but not the fan. When I press the fan button on the remote, I can hear a click in the fan motor, but the fan doesn't turn. Any ideas?

Fan switch on hunter ceiling fan model #20537 not working. [ 1 Answers ]

The fan switch on my hunter ceiling fan model #20537 is not working. What colored wires are supposed to go into the switch, and at what position on the switch? I have 3 wires, green, brown and gray. The switch has 4 slots, 3 L 2 1

Hunter fan w/ light & reversing switch on remote, remote not working properly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hunter fan with light and remote control, with reversible switch on the remote. RC was working fine until recently, and now, the fan will not turn off with it. I do not have a wall switch. The light works fine with RC, and the reversing also works, so does the fan speed. So, what...

View more questions Search