Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schr32 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Would a 150 lb. male pass an ETG test 65 hours after having 1 drink?
    The drink was a Smirnoff Ice fruit drink mixed with Sprite.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 24, 2011, 11:02 AM
    The hype from such tests would suggest that ETG can be detected in the blood up to 80 hours after consuming a drink. However, there's a decent study published here which would suggest that the test is unlikely to come back positive after such a low dose of alcohol and such a long waiting time. Note that in this study, even the subjects who drank relatively large doses of alcohol (more than six drinks) did not give positive results after 48 hrs.

Jun 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    It's an ETG urine test. Does that make a difference?

Jun 24, 2011, 01:23 PM

That's the same test they did in the study.

I wouldn't say it's a 100% guarantee that the test will come back negative, but if you believe that study and the previous one they referenced, the odds are pretty good.

Jun 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    What cutoff do courts use? Do you know how long until they reports results?

Jun 27, 2011, 11:12 AM

Not sure, unfortunately. My impression was that the cutoff depends on the lab doing the testing. I thought it was a simple yes/no, there's ETG present or there's not. That puts the cutoff at the minimum detection limit, which I think is around 100 ng/ml for typical LC-MS instrumentation. That's just a guess on my part though.

And I think it usually takes 3-5 days for the test results to come back. It probably depends a lot on the lab doing the testing. The test itself probably only takes a few minutes.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    What cutoff do courts use? Do you know how long until they reports results?
    Courts should use a cutoff of 500ng per the most recent "scientific(?)" advisory on this test.

However, if the various advisories, recommendations and warning issued in relation to this test were followed it would have been discontinued years ago. See Advisory, US Dept of Health and Human Services (2006, still in effect), or Skipper (2005) or US Dept of Labor or National Association of Drug Court Professionals, October 2006 (link now removed).

As to your question about reporting time. Very important. After you provide the urine sample, it may degrade, or it may multiply. But one way or another the EtG content of your urine sample will change, and very substantially, across a very short period of time.

It is well known and published in peer review journals that improper handling of urine samples can, and in a majority of cases will, result in "unintended medico-legal consequences."

Yet the test continues, ever increasing in use by the commercial drug testing community and concurrent acceptance and reliance upon same by the legal community. Go figure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass EtG test after 59 hours? [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 6ft 3in 230 lbs I been drinking water for the last 3 hours my test is tomorrow by 11am... I drank last on Monday at 3am I have also been taking creatine and a detox pill I plan waking up early and running and sweatting allot will this be enough to pass

Can you pass an EtG test after 200 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

I haven't had a drink in over 200 hours will I pass an EtG test?

ETG Test - Clean for 150 Hours - Will I pass? Please Help [ 4 Answers ]

Drank 8 glasses of wine starting at 6 pm on a Wednesday night. Took an ETG test the following Wednesday at 1 pm. Don't know what the cut-off level is but I think it may be 250. Is there a chance I could fail this test? Please help - I have learned my lesson and committed to preventing further...

It'll be around 112 hours since my last drink before I take my EtG test, will I pass? [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry, I am paranoid... I know I'm not suppose to drink but I couldn't help it. Last Saturday, had around 7 shots... and 3 mix drinks... and stopped on Sunday around 2am... I have a EtG test on Thursday (tomorrow) at 6pm. I know EtG only detects 80 hours... but I just need some reassurance from you...

Will I pass EtG test after 62 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

Saturday I drank about 12 beers, stopping at approx. 2:00 am. Im a healthy 125 lb female with a fast metabolism. I am taking an EtG test Tuesday at about 4:45 pm. Do you think I will pass? (That would be about 62 hours after consuption.)

View more questions Search