Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpmytoilet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Toilet won't flush after heavy rain
    We are having odd plumbing problems at our cottage. We have two bathrooms and every has worked fine the past year. About a month ago there was a major backup in the town sewer line that was cleared. Since then, we have had an issue where one toilet won't flush and the one that does, sucks the water from the other.

We've had the line snaked and the vent pipe checked. We have only one vent so our plumber installed a "cheater valve" and all was well until we had a very heavy rain this week. The original problem returned for about a day but now all is working fine again.

It doesn't seem like a vent problem as we did not have this problem in the past.

Any ideas what might be going on?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 11:02 AM

Did any or your neighbors experience any problems during the heavy rain? If so, I would suspect a city main issue.

Jun 26, 2011, 11:38 AM

We checked with the neighbor on one side and no issues. We did not ask the other one but they had a party yesterday and I think would have mentioned it if there was a problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 02:30 PM

the vent pipe checked
    What does that mean?
    our plumber installed a "cheater valve
    Where did he install the cheater valve? Don't see how that could be done except on an existing vent line.

Are both toilet on the same level?

I don't see how this could be anything other than a venting issue.

Try this logic.
    City sewer back up brings something solid into you sewer system. That blocks your sewer and vent. You clear blockage in sewer line but not vent. What ever is blocking vent dries out and vent is partially open or somehow one toilet is vented but the other is not. You have heavy rain. Water down the vent pipe wets whatever is in the vent pipe. It swells and blocks vent again. It dries out and toilet begins working again. In other words the cheater valve is not really doing any good.

Snake the vent from the roof.

Jun 26, 2011, 04:15 PM

Cheater valve is under the sink connected to the sink drain.

Plumber did not snake the vent pipe but did run water from a garden hose with no backup into the vent pipe - looked all clear.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 05:05 PM

With a lay out like shown below running water down the vent pipe would not confirm that venting to toilet is clear. Water would back up until it reaches the level of the kitchen vent and then flow down the sewer line.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. [ 10 Answers ]

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. There is always a section at the front that doesn't get washed. I have tried pushing the end of a wire coat hanger around the rim, and I have used copious amounts of cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Slow flush septic during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a home with an in ground septic system, it normally works great; however during periods of heavy rain the toilet nearest the discharge either flushes very slowly or not at all. The upstairs toilet as well as the guest bathroom across the house (farthest from the septic system) work fine even...

Toilet won't flush w/ heavy rains [ 7 Answers ]

My toilet will not drain properly w/ heavy rain.. tried plunger and still not draining properly?

Basement drain and toilet floods only during extremely heavy rain [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I own a 3 family building that was built in 2005. The basement floods only when there is extremely heavy rain. If I stop up the main sewer drain during the flooding - the water comes out of the toilet in the basement bathroom. We have one sump pump installed - but it...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

View more questions Search