Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowbunny78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
    What causes numbness in the tongue?
    The left side of my tongue is giving off a numbness sensation like when you get a shot at the dentist. I didn't go to the dentist it just started feeling like this about 2 days ago, and it's effecting my taste. What is it and what can I do to get rid of this feeling?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
    It could be a vitamin B deficiency
    Ren Radio Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Lol. Everything is about vitamin b! You may be entirely right, I just find it a little humorous.

There is a huge network of nerves about the face and mouth.. tongue included. If you're a tooth grinder, you could have pinched a nerve. You may have a little burn. There may be a blood vessel putting pressure on a nerve somewhere. Your doctor will know more... so why not make an appt?

However, I am truly concerned, because you mention a unilateral numbness, it makes me question:
    Have you had back or shoulder pain? Pain or numbness radiating down one side of the body or another? Chest pain? Difficulty regulating body temperature? Forgetfulness?

The signs of stroke or aneurism are: sudden numbness, especially in the face, arm or leg, and most especially if it is on one side of the body. Additionally, severe headaches, difficulty speaking or walking even if mild, trouble seeing in one eye or even both, confusion, or trouble speaking or understanding what others are saying. Because "mini-stokes" can be very subtle, I really must urge you to contact your doctor as soon as possible. The odds of a far more devasting stroke happening after a mild occurrence are too great to ignore. Better to work on the safe side. Too many people die or become debilitated needlessly because they fear embarrassment, that they will be viewed as overreacting when they take action on these symptoms. Your doctor, if he's worth his salt, will not take this symptom lightly.

You don't mention your age or any other medical issues, but Stroke really doesn't discriminate. Don't think you're too young or too healthy. Go see your doc, and if you don't feel he/she is being attentive, get a second opinion. You are too valuable not to!
    lynnelest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 03:26 PM
    I had a tia in dec 09 now every now and then my tongue is feeling numb and I panick a lot because I think that I may bite it and not feel it . I also have breathing problems these are like deep breaths but they are constant like I get a shock and it makes people jump a lot of the time . I'm 35 and lately I know I'm unfit after the tia as I have more or less stayed in the house because of the way I breath and do things differently . The doctor says the breathing things are panic attacks but I'm unsure about this . Can you help please
    Sleepejean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Not to frighten you but you really need to see a doctor as soon as possible. My niece (31 years old) went to the ER with a numb tongue... they sent her home and 2 days later she had a brain stem stroke and passed away. I would much, much rather you were safe than sorry. Please.. I urge you to go see your doctor or the ER.
    brawnylad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2011, 08:18 AM
    I have the same issue of tongue numbness,only it's on the right side and it's in a circular pattern.I'm 33yrs. Old and I have back problems and have had Sciatic nerve numbness in my thigh and buttocks.I'm being seen by a doc. but the tongue issue just came up less than a week ago,and my appt. was only a few days before.I have no insurance and struggle monthly to make it financially,although I would much rather be safe than sorry.Anything come to mind?Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The Lad
    Jonny_D Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 09:11 AM
    I also suffer from a numb and tingly sensation on the tip of my tongue I haven't bit it or anything but I think this may be connected to smoking having just started a few months ago. I would be grateful of any advice even if it is the obvious one, stop smoking! Ha
    Thanks
    Jonny
    rickaye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Are any of you on antidepressants? I have the same problem and I believe it's a side effect of Effexor. Any thoughts?
    fac41tra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 07:45 PM
    I am and my tongue been numned since last Saturday it s been 6 days and I'm on effexor?what to do cause I ve been taking that for 2 years and I'm at the Lowe's dose what's happening??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mouth and Tongue Numbness [ 2 Answers ]

Over the past several weeks (approx. 3) I have been experiencing a significant amount of numbness in my mouth and tongue. It causes me to want to lick the inside of my lips which also causes irritation. Also, I have had a moderate amount of numbness in my fingertips. I was taking Topomax for...

Numbness when riding [ 1 Answers ]

Often when riding my bicycle for an extended period I experience numbeness in my penis. What's Reason? Seat ? What's up with this. Very unconfortable.

Numbness in right leg [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there can anybody help me?. Over the last 6 months I have had like a numb tingling type of sensatiom in my right thigh at he front and side of my thigh to just above the knee... I have mentioned this on several occasions to my gp but I don't get any explanations as to what this could be... Does...

Numbness in arms [ 1 Answers ]

::)What could cause my arms to suddenly go numb and feel so heavy.I can't lift them when this happens. They feel like dead weight. It comes on suddenly,just out of nowhere.It will last for about five or so minutes,then they just feel funny for a little while after.Thank you for any help you can...

View more questions Search