Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crbrown1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
    Probation violation - appeal
    Where do I find the forms to file for an appeal of probation violation; NO lawyer
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:10 AM

How about a clue about where you live?

Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Carroll County, Ohio
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crbrown1 View Post
    where do I find the forms to file for an appeal of probation violation; NO lawyer
    Hello again, cr:

So, now you KNOW why he's being held?? You didn't just a moment ago... You certainly can't appeal if you don't know what the charges are... Plus, he's going to have a hearing... If the violation is sustained, THAT'S the time to file an appeal... However, if he only committed a minor or technical offense, they'll let him out LONG before you can file an appeal.

So, why don't you tell us what you know?

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM

N0, Arrested & taken into custody that night--> hearing, released by signature --> probation department put hold on him --> remained in custody --> probation hearing found him in violation - mist charges dismissed --> deal EOCC in Wintersville 4-6 months;
    Hello again, cr:

Let's try to keep everything in one place... You need to find out exactly WHAT they found him in violation of.. Only then, can you appeal. There IS a reason. Your son probably has paperwork. It's written there.

excon

Jun 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
    This is ALL that I know -- He has been held in County jail x 7 weeks -- held by probation department -- Probation hearing almost three weeks ago found him in violation (statement that he had been in a bar) no witness; Now holding him for transport to EOCC in Wintersville OH for 4-6 months;

He has 1 week to file an appeal of the probation violation hearing; I need to know where to find the forms necessary to file.

Can anyone help??
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
    I need to know where to find the forms necessary to file.
    Hello again, cr:

There are no forms. Have your son write letter to whomever his appeal should be filed with. If he has 10 days left, he HAS paperwork telling him WHERE his appeal needs to be filed.. Nothing is left to guesswork. His letter WILL be accepted as an appeal...

However, the appeal has to be BASED on some mistake. It can't just be based on the fact that he doesn't like the decision. If he has PROOF that he wasn't in the bar, that should have been presented at his hearing... He KNEW that that was what he was being charged with.. They didn't just spring it on him.

Nonetheless, he should write the letter. You should write one too. Don't expect anything, though. Hope, yes - expectation, no.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:59 AM

What are your grounds for appeal? I found this - "If you are put on probation (community control) in Ohio, you may have your community control revoked if you violate any conditions of your community control. But you must be afforded due process of law before your probation can be revoked. Based on the United States Supreme Court decision in Gagnon v. Scarpelli (1973), 411 U.S. 778, a defendant must be provided written notice of the claimed violations, disclosure of the evidence against him, an opportunity to be heard and to present witnesses and documentary evidence, the right to confront and cross examine adverse witnesses, a neutral and detached hearing body, and a written statement by the factfinder of the evidence relied upon and the reasons for the revocation.

The Eighth District Court of Appeals of Cuyahoga County just reversed a trial judge who abruptly called for a probation revocation and hearing and appointed defense counsel on the spot ("Mr. Defendant, meet your Ohio criminal defense lawyer"). The court of appeals found that the defendant had not received even "minimal due process at his community control violation hearing." But one court of appeals judge dissented and you can read both sides of the debate here."

If you have grounds you would file with the District Court of Appeals. Ohio Courts of Appeals

I would not attempt an appeal without an Attorney - this appeal is NOT a local matter and IS a matter for a superior Court.

But without knowing your grounds for appeal it's difficult to know how to advise you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of probation- didn't pee but signed failed for hydrocodone to probation [ 10 Answers ]

misdemeanor probation violation one was dismissed I was released 6/10 /10 I violated for a random drug screen by admitting I wouldn't pass probby didn't make me pee but had to sign waiver, he felt bad I was falling apart I'm on felony agg. Battery charges brought to simple battery on probation for...

Violation of Probation, Maryland Shoplifting PBJ/Violation due to Urine Test [ 1 Answers ]

My 18 year old niece was arrested three times within a week for shoplifting. The first was under $200 worth of electronics she was stopped with before leaving the store, A few days later, she was caught stealing small items totaling under $20 from two stores in a shopping mall. This resulted in 2...

HIPAA Violation can we appeal? [ 2 Answers ]

I was a new CNA without my license. I was working at a hospital. I was sent to a different area to work as I volunteered to go in for them that day. One of the other CNA's was bullying me and giving me a hard time. I was assigned on the floor to take care of two people which I was doing. We sit for...

Maryland violation of probation time limits to file violation [ 2 Answers ]

I was given 5 yrs of probation during which I violated the terms by not paying restituion as indicated . I could not pay for financial reasons and a violation was filed and I was found guilty. The judge sentenced me to 6 months jail and said that I would have only 6 months left after I got out to...

How do you appeal probation transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I was informed, due to medical reasons, it was all right for me to leave my current state. I requested to live with family cause I could no longer properly care fr myself and young child. Once I arrived at the new state I was informed that I was allowed to travel illegally. Also, I was informed...

View more questions Search