Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixindahouse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Another chattering pressure switch on well pump.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I own an older country home. I have been gradually upgrading the water system for 2 years, but this problem persists unaffected. After starting normally at 40psi (pressure switch is 40-60, and brand new), the shut off is always rough with several fast stops and starts until finally quitting. The shallow well jet pump stops at the proper pressure, (60psi) as it should. The pressure tank is 1 year old, rubber bladder and filled to 38psi. I replaced the foot valve at the bottom of the well two years ago and the suction pipe is all new up to the pump, no leaks there or loss of prime. The pump is older, but pumps up quickly and could go well past 60psi, so I think it's not the problem. I moved the small pressure line that controls the pressure switch off the pump housing and relocated it several feet away at the pressure tank, this may have helped a small amount? Water pressure in house is good. Pump does just what it should except for the rough shutdown. This is my problem and I am stumped. I want the higher pressure (40-60) because of distances and age of water lines in the old house. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Rod K.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 02:40 PM

Check line to pressure switch to see if it clear. Sounds like it is partially blocked with rust, mineral deposits or sand.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 02:55 PM

How far from the pressure tank is the switch? It should be on a line only a few inches long and within a foot or two of the tank.

Do you have a filter or softener?
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 02:59 PM

Take a look at this thread. It is somewhat simliar to your problem. I remember this one because I had never thought that locating the switch some distance from the tank would be a problem.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ve-567729.html
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 03:15 PM

Jlisnbe

What do you think would happen if the line to the switch had air trapped in it? Seems to me it could cause a "bouncing" effect on the contacts.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 08:19 PM

Interesting. It would be possible, I suppose. This is a strange one. The only connection I have been able to make has been to the link I posted above. I hope Fix will let us know how this resolves.
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
    I'm not totally on to the plumbing part of chattering relays or solenoids, but electrically
    It's a low voltage situation that causes a magnetic coil to do this. If all other suggestions
    By my friends do not produce any solutions. Try troubleshooting the elec. cont. sys.
    fixindahouse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Just an update on my chattering switch problem. Worked again this weekend on well. The pressure switch was located several feet away, mounted directly on the side of the pump motor. A small plastic pressure line ran from the switch over to the pressure tank fill pipe. This line was clean, with excellent flow when I took it off. I relocated the pressure switch onto the pipe filling the pressure tank. It now sits on a 6 inch pipe nipple because that's what I had laying around. The switch is only inches away from the pressure tank now. I turned the power back on, waited with much anticipation for the pump to shut off and, katick, katick, katick,, katick, the pump jerked to stop. No change. Could the small amount of air trapped in the pipe nipple still cause the problem? Maybe there is something wrong with the jet pump, it's about the only thing left I haven't messed with. Anyhow, Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em' coming. Rod
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 04:49 PM

Fix, I should have thought of this first thing. Take the cover off your switch and watch the points. When the system reaches cut off pressure, they should open once and be done with it. See if they are opening/shutting rapidly. If they are not, then your pump would seem to be the problem. If they are, then we keep looking at the switch.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 04:58 PM

And while we're talking about the easy things to do, if the points are doing what I described above, then turn off the power, then give the large center nut a half turn clockwise. While you are at it, give the smaller nut a half turn clockwise. My only thought there is that perhaps something is happening at the preset pressures that won't happen at a different setting. A half turn won't change your settings enough to notice. It probably won't work, but as I said, it's easy enough to do. Worth trying while you have the cover off anyway.
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Jun 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
    As stated before,a small adjustment to the pressure cutoff sw, may be the answer.Also
    Does this unit have a differential press. Adjustment? And is the pressure suddenly
    Dropping off causing the pump to restart?
    benedictwilliam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Have no well water. I turn on the power and I get a clicking/buzzing out of the pressure switch or its coming from the control box. My pump is in the well.
    Please help
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Sorry to be so long in replying. First step is to check your switch. Pull the grey cover off and eyeball the four sets of points. They should be touching. If they are, then you begin to suspect the control box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump pressure switch [ 6 Answers ]

How do I adjust the pressure switch on a small water well pump, there are two adjustment screws one is larger than the other. Many thanks, M. Ruen

Well pump pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new submersable 110vt. Well pump installed and wired correctly. Unfortunately, the pressure gauge will suddenly fall to zero woth no water pressure. Have checked all power to switch and fuses. No problem. But you can hear the pump come on for about 3 seconds then quit about every ten...

Pump pressure switch does not turn on with low pressure [ 0 Answers ]

I lost water in my home overnight. The pressure gage reads about 8 PSI. If I use the lever on the pressure switch to close the contacts, nothing happens. Actually, the pump controller box, makes a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds, but that's it. Does anyone have any thoughts? I don't...

Well pump pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

Manostat pressure switch ,has 4 screws on front for wires( 2 black wires and 2 white wires)and then two ground wires .These are all the wires coming in for switch . My friend took them off and does not remember how they were hooked up. Please help if you can.Thanks.

View more questions Search