Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Tons of calcium buildup in water heater-
    Hi there -
    I have a dual element electric hot water tank. Not knowing I should have cleaned it out regularly, the lower element finally burned out. Now, how do I get all the build up out of it? Can I use a de-limer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 10:07 AM
    About the only way that you will be able to get the deposits out efficiently is to use the hole that the element fits into and scrape or suck the deposits out with a water vacuum. To suck them out keep adding just enough water into the heater to keep the stuff liquid enough to suck out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I would remove the upper element and put it in de-limer. Also remove the thermostat if you can and clean it up. Once you have ever thing back together, flush it out good using the drain on the bottom. With clean elements and thermostat, any lime remaining after flushing should stay harmlessly in the bottom. It won't block the heat transfer like in a gas heater.

Feb 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Thank you both - just pulled out the shop vac and de-limer - now how long do I keep the de-limer in there?

Appreciate it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Hey Sherri,
    After you get the crud out of your water heater keep it out by flushing on a regular maintenance schedule. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Regards, Tom

Feb 10, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Thank you, I've just recently moved to the country - 3 years ago - and didn't know I had to do this on a regular basis. Because of all of your help, I think I've got hot water again, and I will definitely do a maintenance program 1x monthly - especially because of my very hard water.

Thanks again - I now know where to turn when I have home problems.
    talktomjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
    This is my experience not the answer. I cleaned out pounds of the calcium or lime build-up and it was very hard on my back with a very small clean out hole (There has to be a unit with a large clean out opening - is there? ) Flushed out the unit and that is a pain in the rear! (who has time to do this? ) and the lime build-up in a year old unit was major league thick, so just flushing will not do the trick?

I bet I have to buy a new one and pay more of course than last time and buy a water softer and buy pellets, Gees...
    tony_sparky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 04:51 AM
    Also hydrochloric acid works really well on calcium build up the acid dissolves the calcium depending on how much is there and the amount of acid used a 325L tank will need 5L of acid and takes about 2 hours to work more acid less time flush the tank once or twice and good to go
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 22, 2012, 05:45 AM
    If you use acid, (which I never advise) make s very sure the room is well ventilated. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium in hot water [ 12 Answers ]

About a month ago we noticed our faucets were getting clogged up with calcium only for the hot water. So we flushed out the water heater and it did not help. The water heater was old and the water was not very hot so we finally replaced the water heater and everything was fine for about a week but...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

How many tons of pea gravel... [ 6 Answers ]

do you need to fill a 30x35 area to a depth of 7 inches? And 9 inches? Or how would I figure it out?

Cubc yard to tons conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the "average" cy to ton conversion factors for the following items: Sand? class II AB? pea gravel? Thanks, Jeff

View more questions Search