Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleygirls33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 08:49 AM
    Can you go to jail for not paying restitution?
    In 2008 I got a DUI and injured a litle girl that I hit... I did my prison sentence and my In home detention and my probation and also paid all my fines and fees and drug and alcohol off.. Now I just owe the restitution to the victim and was wondering if I could go bacl to jail if I don't pay.. For one I can't get a job with the Felony convictions so it is hard for me to even begin to try and pay on it... I just don't want to go back to jail or prison for not being able to pay.. Any advise ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 09:24 AM

Yes you have to pay the victim restitution. Isn't that what it is all about. You will have to find a way to do it.

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 09:48 AM

Hello h:

If you've made ever effort possible to make your payments, and they'll want PROOF, they won't sent you back.. But, if you just SAY you can't, they will.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 07:20 PM

The simple answer is, can they, yes of course they can and people do every day.

You will have to prove that you are applying for jobs on a regular basis, and that you have paid anytime you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I do jail time in lieu of 12,000 restitution in California [ 2 Answers ]

I owe 12,000 restitution from about 7 years ago, but I just can't afford it. My question is do you think if I go in and tell the judge that I just can't afford it I can do jail time in lieu of this?

Can you go to jail if you are on probation and do not pay your restitution and filed [ 1 Answers ]

Can you go to jail if you are on probation and required to pay restitution and not been able to pay and you filed bankcruptcy

Paying restitution [ 13 Answers ]

I just found out that my ex-husband has received five years probation and must pay 350,000 dollars for restitution for a crime he committed. How does paying restitution work? Especially when he has a menial job and can't even hardly afford to pay me child support? Would I loose my child...

Paying Back Restitution [ 3 Answers ]

I served a 1 year prison sentence in '92, and 5 years of probation. I was also ordered to pay a lot of restitution, but haven't been able to keep up with it because I can't. Is there anyway I can get restitution expunged, since I've basically paid my debt per say?

How can I get off paying restitution for a grand theft [ 3 Answers ]

I pled guilty to a grand theft charge and was adjudicated but I'm on probation until I pay my restitution but I won't finish paying it for at least 7 yrs and I have no steady job is there any way to get off paying back the restitution?

View more questions Search