Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerrica1975 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Well water pump-how to Prime or bleed it?
    :confused: :confused: When running the water.. every few minutes.. it will stop for a few seconds.. and you will hear it start up again. This has just started to happen in the last few months.. and I was told it might need to be primed or blead. I have no idea how to do this! Will I need to contact a plumber? It is in the basement, and I can take pics of it if there is anyone that can walk me through it. Thanks in advance!
    Liz in CT:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Hi Liz,

What stops? The pump or the flow? If it's the flow does it spit air at you? If the pump comes on every time you make a draw you have a faulty bladder tank. If you have pressure the pump doesn't need to be primed and opening up the topmost faucet and letting it run will bleed the system. But I don';t think either one will help. Sounds more like a bad check or foot valve. But until I know more details I'll wait on a final answer. Regards, Tom
    gerrica1975 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Humm.. you will have water.. then nothing.. not air.. just nothing.. then you'll hear the pump kicking on and you'll have water again. I will happen at least twice during a shower. Thanks Tom ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Hi Liz,

This could be caused by a lowered water table or a leak in the suction line. While I can't pinpoint the source I can give you a few places to start looking. Good luck, Tom
    leroy rhoton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Do I have to hook air to a bladder tank to get a prime
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Gerrica, I am assuming your pump is in your basement since you can hear it kick in. If that's the case, I would want to be at the pump to see if it is turning on at the cut in point for the switch (probably around 30 pounds of pressure), or if it is allowing the pressure to drop to zero and then cutin. If the latter is the case, then I would look at the switch.

WHOOPS! Didn't see the date on the original post... April.

Leroy, the answer to your question is no.
    Bignono Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
    After replacing a psi valve how do I get the water pumpin again
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 07:31 AM

If by a "psi valve" you mean a pressure gauge, then I am assuming you took the old gauge off the top of the impeller cage on your pump and replaced it. If that's the case, then you could have lost prime in that process. Remove the gauge and pour in water until it is absolutely full and runs over. Replace the gauge and try the pump again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you prime a pump? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to prime a sprinkler pump the right way? I have 2 cut-off valves on my system. The first one leads to the pump, and the other valve leads to the cylinder shaped thing with the five tubes on it... My question is: do I close the 2nd valve and open the first valve to let water...

How to prime a centrifugal pump [ 1 Answers ]

Old Sears pump... roughly 1970s... cannot remember which valves to turn off and which to leave on while hooking up hose.

How do you prime awater pump? [ 1 Answers ]

I cut off my well pump to make sure that I did not have any leaking toilets over night. Now my well seems to have lost it's prime. The shower water will ryn then completely cut off then come back on in a couple of minutes. Help?

View more questions Search