Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trista84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 07:19 PM
    How do I legally evict a roommate... as soon as possible?
    I let my sister in law move in to my house in which I currently have a 12 month lease. She is not on the lease and I need to get rid of her. She is always late or short with the rent and I believe she is doing drugs. I want her out but I want to do it legally so she has no recourse other than to pack her stuff! What is the most quick way to do this?
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 07:31 PM
    You need to go to your local court house and file a eviction with the marshel dept.it takes anywhere from 30 to 60 days depends on your state laws.the sooner you file the faster u can get the dead beat out.some states if there not on your lease u can have the local poilce dept make them leave that day.good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2007, 07:43 PM
    First you have to give her notice, if she is not currently late, you have to give her a 30 day notice to move out. ( since if she does not have a written agreement with you she is on a verbal month to month rental)

If she will not move out after you tell her to move out, you file for an eviction with the county court.
    jadiiex123 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2011, 05:13 AM
    Before you 'get rid' of her, make sure you confront her why you are kicking her out. If not, she will find it your fault. Which if she really is doing drugs, short of rent, than its not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thedogghater View Post
    you need to go to your local court house and file a eviction with the marshel dept.it takes anywhere from 30 to 60 days ...
    "marshel"? You mean "marshal"; i.e.: police officer? Where are you, 'hater? I didn't think local or state law enforcement officers have ever been called marshals.

Quote Originally Posted by thedogghater View Post
    ... some states if ther not on your lease u can have the local poilce dept make them leave that day. ...
    I don't think so. If they are paying rent they are a month-to-month tenant. If so, you will need a court order to evict. A court order takes more time than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jadiiex123 View Post
    Before you 'get rid' of her, make sure you confront her why you are kicking her out. If not, she will find it your fault. Which if she really is doing drugs, short of rent, than its not.
    No, you don't need a reason to evict a month-to-month tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

What can we do legally? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and have been married for 3 years. My mom, who was always a control freak, literally went psycho when I got married. She took my family (dad, brothers, and sister) through hell making up stories of me being abused and manipulated and dragging my helpless younger siblings through...

How to evict someone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just go a new tenet in my rental home. We gave her the key @ the end of October even though she still owed us $250.00 for the required deposit. She eventually got it to us. Now the rent for December was due 12-03-2006. But we haven't heard a word. I sent a letter reminding her of the...

How do I evict my roommate? [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is not on my lease. We have been living together for about 5 months and he had paid rent once and never has paid the utilities. I have been letting it go because he lost his job and I gave him time to find a new one. However he has not even been looking. I have tried to be nice because...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

View more questions Search