Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Why does my hot water run for about 2 minutes, then gets cool?
    My hot water runs for about 2 minutes, then gets lukewarm and then eventually cool after a few minutes. This happens in all faucets in the house. I have a 5 year old gas water heater. Everything was fine until a plumber tapped hot and cold lines to run pipes to a bathroom that is being finished in the basement. The new lines are only stubs. I don't see how he could have cross-connected the hot and cold. We turned the thermostat up very high, but it doesn't seem to matter. If the water is off for a while (30 minutes) then it is hot, but again lasts for only 2 minutes. Any ideas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 09:31 AM

Hi Rodstser, question: did your plumber rough-in new shower valve in your new bathroom in the basement ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 09:45 AM

Could be a coincidence but I think your dip tube has broken free. Did the plumber temporarily disconnect the water heater pipes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater, hot water in shower only lasts 3 minutes [ 40 Answers ]

I have been in this apartment 6 months and have never been able to have a warm shower longer than 3 minutes. I told my landlord and he replaced the water heater. But that didn't solve the problem. So he had a plumber come over and the plumber said maybe the water heater was defective. But then he...

First time open the tap get cold water after 5 minutes get hot water [ 7 Answers ]

When I open the tap get cold water after 5 minute get the hot water. I asked the water tank rental company they came and said problem with shut off valve not with the tank. Can someone let me know problem with water tank for shut of valve.

Why does hot air come out of my apartment A/C for 40 minutes before it starts to cool [ 0 Answers ]

My apartment A/C starts with hot air for 40 minutes before the cold air starts at times. It will do it in the afternoon and then runs for 8 straight hours without turning off but does maintain temperature. The coolent levels per repair person are fine. He also said it is due to the hot...

Four Five minutes before getting hot water (hot/cold mix?) [ 8 Answers ]

Instead of getting hot water when turning on the faucet with the handle toward 'Hot', cold water runs for about four/five minutes until the water starts getting warmer and then hot. My guess is that the cause of this problem is the difference in pressure between hot and cold circuits and that the...

Hot water for about 10 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

My shower only stays hot for about 10 minutes, at the most. Do you have any suggestions? By the way, my water heater is electric. Thanks.

View more questions Search