Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcook56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Water Runnings Sound in water main pipe in basement
    I've noticed for several months that the water pressure to my shower is low and when I flush the toilet it is also slow. I complained to the water department and they checked and said I didn't have any leaks. Recently there's been water accumulating in my basement floor and now I hear the sound of water running at the main pipe. The water department turned off the water from the curb and the sound stops. When it is turned back on the sounds returns. The water dept says that I have a leak before the meter in the pipes and a plumber says that he is 99% sure that there is a leak somewhere in the ground (I pray not). What should be my concerns especially as far as cost. Even though the running water is not costing me anything through the water dept, I have to wet vac water every evening. I suppose I will have to get it fixed. What do you think will most lookly be the cost to fix?
    MarkplumberOHIO Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 02:54 PM
    The main pipe you hear water running,is it the drain you are hearing it run,or the H20 line
    MarkplumberOHIO Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
    It sounds like to me it is a leak in the wall/ceiling,from you saying that H20 is on basement floor?
    dcook56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Comment on MarkplumberOHIO's post
    It is not the drain. I hear it running at the main H2O pipe. I also notice a louder sound when a toilet is flushed. It has been very humid and the pipes are cold and sweaty.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2011, 05:34 PM
    That you can hear a leak/water running and not be paying for the water is a surprise. If there is a leak BEFORE the meter, the water dept should fix it, AFTER the meter is your issue. With water in your basement(?) you have a wall leak or a leak from above that is running down the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There is no water in the main basement drain. Should I pour water into it? [ 2 Answers ]

If the drain is clogged would the water be gone in the drain? When the water softener recycles, it looks like water comes out over the area. There are crystals about 3 feet from drain and water area on concrete floor. Is it clogged?

Main water pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I hava to replace the pipe that goes from my water meter to the house! It is a straight shot from the meter to the house and is about 25 feet. The current pipe is way rusted and part of it busted! The plumbing company told us it was going to cost us $3800 dollars to fix! I think that is way high!...

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

Main water pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I have a broken water pipe on the main water line coming into the house, just before the main water valve. Can any license plumber repair this problem or do I have to notify the city to have this pipe repaired? Approximately how much will it cost to be repaired?

View more questions Search