Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dillydumpling Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
    What happens to a Home equity line of credit after death of borrower?
    My brother passed away leaving me 3 investment properties (via trust), all with mortgages and renters in place. There is a heloc attached to one property. A year has passed and I have all the houses in my name as well as control over the mortgages and am just barely breaking even. I have contacted the bank with the HELOC and they have not responded. What will happen if I stop making the payment on the heloc?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 01:55 PM

They have a lien against the property. They'll exercise it. I'm amazed you get a new mortgage without paying off an existing line of credit.

Or did you just assume the payments (which very well could be illegal if your brother is deceased).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2011, 04:22 PM

If the properties were in trust to you, then they should have passed to you outside his estate. Depending on the wording of the trust. Did an attorney handle the disposition of the trust or are they still in the trust?

The HELOC represents a lien against the property in question. If you default, they can foreclose on the property.
    dillydumpling Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    They have a lien against the property. They'll exercise it. I'm amazed you get a new mortgage without paying off an existing line of credit.

Or did you just assume the payments (which very well could be illegal if your brother is deceased).
    I did a simple assumption on all 3 properties, never had a response from the bank with the HELOC.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2011, 08:05 PM

They will treat it as default on the loan, with the property as collateral on the loan.

Again I agree, the loan may even become completely payable at the time you changed ownership without their written permission. When they did not answer, I would guess they assumeed you understood you could not legally proceed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home equity line of credit [ 5 Answers ]

My parents had an line of credit on 2 homes. This was done in 2001. In 2206 we transferred all property into a trust with my mom/dad as trustees. My dad dies in 2006 and my mom in December of 2010. My mom was paying both loans up until her death. We stopped paying on them and now the bank is...

Collections for a Home Equity Line of Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Help needed here. My 1st mortgage is willing to modify (thanks to the gov't), however, my 2nd is a "securitized" loan (different lender) and they say they are unable to modify. The woman at the bank said if I modify my 1st, in order to keep my loans, my 2nd payment would actually increase to pay...

Home equity line of credit [ 1 Answers ]

In a chapter 13 bankrutcy can a home euity line of credit loan be reduced

Parents death and Equity Line of Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have quite an interesting situation regarding our home and a Equity Line of Credit against the house. In August 2004 my mother died, and in March 2006 my father passed away. We took care of all of the credit cards and such, however we have been afraid to tell the bank about their...

Parent Death - Home equity line of credit [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: My father died in April. His insurance did not cover his funeral, had to take a loan out to pay for it. Notified his creditors of his death. He had taken out a home equity line of credit on his house many years ago. It has a $40,000 plus balance. In 2000 he transferred his 2 homes into my...

View more questions Search