Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhdpool Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
    24" diameter above ground pool has water level uneven by 0.250" - 0.875" Is this bad?
    Measurement Details (I used a measuring tape):
    • The depth of the pool STRUCTURE is 54".
    • The West side of the pool's water level is 1/4" lower than the East side of the pool.
    • The North side of the pool's water level is about even with the South side of the pool.
    • The East side of the pool's water level is 0.50" lower than the North side of the pool.
    • The West side of the pool's water level is 0.75" lower than the South side of the pool.
    • When comparing all other sides of the pool, the absoulte highest water level and lowest water level difference is 7/8".

Other Details:
    • The pool was installed 3 weeks ago on level ground (dirt, with sand added on top of the dirt for the pool floor).
    • I live in New England and we have had massive rainfall lately and I believe that is what caused the "unlevelness", as water would gather around certain parts of the pool.
    • I am in process of building a deck and retaining wall for the pool and to help with proper drainage. The West side of the pool is where the retaining wall would be (left-hand side of the picture)

Questions:
    • Are the uneven levels that I indicated OK for years to come, if the levels do not change?
    • If the levels change further, at what point will it become unsafe (at what level change would I have to re-level certain sides of the pool; or jack-up certain sides to help even the levels further?)

Thank you!
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Glad you sent a picture, a 24" pool is pretty small! It is virtually impossible to level a sand base over 24 ft. Compacted sand gets wet and settles more as water flows along it. I'd wait a while and see what happens. To jack a pool would be near impossible filled. Based on your dimensions you have about 3,517,788 cubic inches of water or 61 tons of water in the pool. Try jacking that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2011, 05:52 PM

Out of level by this amount is acceptable. However, based on the picture I have a concern, is that sand showing on the right side of the pool base? Was the lower track laid on sand on this side of the pool?

May 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
    My mind is fried lately... Yes 24" is tiny. Meant to say 24'. LOL.

If I had to relevel I would drain, but I definitely don't want to resort to that. I'm thinking there is no need to relevel if things stay as is.

On the right side of the pic, what you see is just earth. It isn't sand. Tracks weren't laid on sand. On the left side of the pic I since laid a tarp down to collect rain as I wait for the retaining wall to be built. I duct taped the tarp to the side of the pool - the other sides of the tarp are held down by big rocks. Previous rain caused that dirt section to get squishy so I had to do something to minimize that. . The tarp will prevent a fair amount of water from touching that area. So far i think it will not rain for a while - fingers crossed. Retaining wall will be put in within the next two weeks - all the contractors have had their schedules pushed back because of the recent weather.

I think the good thing is that I am not unlevel by six inches or something that high. Is it a good sign that the polar opposite sides at least share a fairly close level difference - as opposed to just one side being off by 0.75"?

Thank you for everyone who replies, I really appreciate it. Like I said it's still a couple weeks away, so I would definitely welcome any feedback over the next few weeks or months.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Th retaining wall on the left isn't really needed. The weight of the water pushing out is greater than the weight of soil pushing in. You can do it for looks or peace of mind but not really required. Get grass growing on the right side to stop/prevent erosion.

May 27, 2011, 06:35 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks Ballen. I was going for the wall for looks, but also because the left side of my yard has a large slope (pic doesn't do justice), so I just wanted to hold water, if any back. When I walk near the ledge, grass and dirt caves in. Also the deck is going to on the left side above a decent part of the wall and it may help with the deck construction. Don't think it will hurt to add the wall. Some of the looks of the wall will obviously be hidden by the deck. The deck is about 25'x8'. There are 5 "sections" to the deck. Each section is 5'x8'. The 8' is the distance from the back of the deck to the water. Depending on the angles on trying to get the deck to curve around the pool, I'm looking at about 200sqft in total.

May 27, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Also the height or depth of the dirt ledge (left side) where the wall would be is about 2-3 feet. Thus why dirt and grass caves in notably when I walk along the edge of the ledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above Ground Pool Not Level [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of installing our 15 x 30 x 52 oval above ground pool. We have just put the wall up. We spent many hours trying to get it level and thought it was almost perfect... until we put the wall up and now we can tell that in some places it is off about an inch and one area is off...

What's the best way to level a above ground pool? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a 10 x 30 Intex pool and after we filled it up, it ended up being about 1 3/4 inch lower on the other end. I read reviews that some people say you must dig up where the pool lays and level it out. I also read that some people stated that since its not too un-level that I would be...

Water level in above ground pool in winter [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a house with above ground pool.We have a winter cover on it,treated for winter but the water level has really dropped.Does water come through those covers?I'm afraid with the low water level it will collapse the sides.What should I do?I have removed the ice and water off the cover so it...

How can I level my above ground pool? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I bought a pool last year, I think its about 14', its not one of those super nice ones with the deck attached or anything, just one of those 400 dollar ones from wal*mart... but I could never get it to stay up.. I think it was just not level enough last year, it would stay up fine for a couple...

View more questions Search