Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmycarpenter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Material list for a 100 amp upgrade in residence
    I am doing a paper on installing a new 100 amp service an I am in need of a material list since I have never done this before I don't know what materials are needed
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 26, 2011, 02:40 PM

Jimmy,

There is no set in stone kit for you.

1st of all, Service installation would normally done by a Power Company.

If they are not doing the work, then you have to include permit costs, parts, cable (copper or aluminum) and the list goes on.
    \
    My best recommendation is to either hit your text book, go to the library to determine what you need to complete the install and then go price the equipment and parts at Lowe's or home depot.

When I had to do that, that's the way I did the exercise.

It's a terrific learning exercise so buckle down and get it done.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

1st of all, Service installation would normally done by a Power Company.
    Don, I have to disagree with you here. The only thing a utility has to do with a service installation is tie into their lines. The "service" is installed by an electrical contractor.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 02:44 AM
    I have to assume some education course is requiring this paper. What kind of course requires something of students that have no knowledge of the requirement?

By the way, what utilities provide is regional. In New Hampshire, Public Service of New Hampshire, provides and installs the service entrance conductors riser and the meter socket, the customer furnishes installs, owns, and maintains the SEC from meter to panel, and the panel.

In Maine, Connecticut, Mass, the customer furnishes and installs the entire service, and the utility furnishes the aerial cable and connects to the customers service.

Jim , who is asking you to do this "paper"?

To get started, go look at existing services. You will see that different services use different materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade-relocate 100 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

My 100 amp service panel is located inside my bedroom closet. The meter is outside. (It's a levit built home)... slab no garage. I would like to turn that service panel into nothing but a 150-200 amp circuit breaker, which would feed a relocated service panel installed in the closet under the...

I need help determining ihelp new 100 amp service panel or upgrade to a 200 amp [ 12 Answers ]

I've gotten conflicting advice from different electricians. We have a 40 year-old house with original 100 amp panel. It's about 1800 sf. I think we have the usual demands for a family of 4, 2 tv's, stereo, 3 laptops, printer, washer, dishwasher, plus a pool pump and filter (no heat or spa), etc....

Material list for 400 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help me come up with a complete list of materials needed for a residential 400 amp service?>? I'm taking electrical classes at a community and technical college and as many electricians know, the codebook is a to work with sometimes.

Do we upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I am pretty sure my answer to this is going to be yes we should. I guess one of my biggest concerns is why didn't my electrician recommend it. When our house burnt all of the electrical was redone in our home. The electrician knew at this time what all would being running off our 100 amp service,...

Upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking into buying a house. This house is 50 yrs old and has 3000 sq ft. The only problem is that it runs on 100 amp fuse box with only 4 fuses. From the home inspection there are no ground wires on the outlets. The one reason we are currently interrested in this home is...

View more questions Search