Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tfbroc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Toilet tank won't fill up.
    The rubber tube goes into the fill tube but just continues to run water and not fill the tank.

May 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
    I have a fluid master fill valve. The rubber tube that goes to the fill tube continues to run water in but the tank won't fill up.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2011, 06:35 AM

Check the flapper valve it should be down and seated, check the handle that it is not stuck in the up position, check the chain that it is not short to keep the flapper up, and make sure the refill tube is connected to the overflow pipe, see the Image below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 22, 2011, 06:44 AM

Manually lift the float up and see if the water stops, may need adjusting, or replacing.

May 22, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Yes I did lift the float and the water stopped flowing.

May 22, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Comment on afaroo's post
    I checked all things you said : the float shuts off the water: the flapper is seated: the over flow tube is tight: No blockage. Handle is OK. Chain not interfearing with fill up. Water just goes into the over flow pipe and keeps running.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 22, 2011, 10:59 AM

Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 22, 2011, 05:12 PM

You need to adjust the float Hold on to the clip which attaches the float to the rod squeeze the clip and move the float up to adjust see if it will work if not is time for a new fill valve they are not expensive &12.00 and easy to replace it, good luck.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 22, 2011, 05:23 PM

Unless I am misreading this " run water and not fill the tank" can only happen if the flapper is not sealing, is there slack in the chain connected to the flapper, there needs to be some slack.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2011, 05:27 PM

Bob I asked all that questions in post #3 he comes back and says every thing is OK Falpper was my first, now he says if he lift the float the water stops I think the float needs to be adjusted or may failure of the fill valve , Thanks.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 22, 2011, 06:23 PM

I think he thinks the flapper is seated but it is not. If water runs into the tank via the fill valve and the tank does not fill there is only one place the water can be going. I'd like hiom to retrun and answer my qusetion about slack in the chain, bet there is none.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2011, 07:18 PM

Yep I a gree with you and as you say the flapper is the first thing to check, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank won't fill [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have a toilet that has always been slow to fill but now it won't fill at all. What do I look for? Thanks.

Toilet Tank will not fill with water... [ 2 Answers ]

I flush the toilet and have to hold the handle down until all the water flushes and then after I let the flap down, the tank will not fill up unless I twist the tower a little bit and water gushes out of the top of it... anyone know how to fix it?

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet tank fill [ 5 Answers ]

After flushing, the toilet goes silent for about 15 seconds and then the tank starts refilling. What may be causing this? Thanks.

Toilet tank doesn't fill up all the way [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet tank does not fill up to it's capacity, which does not flush all the waste down. Have to flush two and three times before it's gone. Please help, I'm wasting gals. Of water all day every day

View more questions Search