Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bud999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Growing tomatoes in a pot outside?
    I have 3 tomato plants growing outside in a 14" clay pot. There are about twenty tomatoes of various sizes, less than 2" diameter. It gets all day southern exposure until about 4:00pm. The leaves are all curling and somewhat limp, although the soil is still moist. What's up with the curling leaves, and should I allow the plant to dry out before watering? I have been watering daily and have not let them get totally dry.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2011, 02:22 PM

If they are all in one pot they need to be separated. That's not enough room to grow 3 plants. Also, remember to water the soil, not the leaves, in the evening not the morning. Do you use a fertilizer?
    Bud999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Yes I am using Miracle Gro for tomatoes. How about the curling leaves? How do I get these plants separated? They are 2 feet tall and very inter-twined. I am sure the roots will be as well!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
    Curling leaves are OK as long as they aren't limp. You put too many in one pot and there's nothing to do now but water well every day (assuming the pot has drainage). Give them something to vine onto.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Any tricks for growing Sweet Beefsteak Tomatoes? [ 2 Answers ]

I am growing Beefsteak Tomatoes for the very first time this year. :o I have about twelve seedlings now about 2" tall. Can anyone tell me the next step for transplanting and "staking"? I am a real beginner any help will be appreciated. I live in Florida. Thank you! Dawn

Growing tomatoes in pots outside tomatoes turning black [ 2 Answers ]

We have been growing tomatoes in large containers. Now the tomatoes are producing they are turning black on the bottom and also turning red already but very small. Please advise

GROWING tomatoes care [ 2 Answers ]

YIELD is good but tomatoes are small

Growing tomatoes in pots outside? [ 4 Answers ]

We started with tomato plants in pots on the concrete patio. We kept them well-watered. One plant had leaves to start curling just a bit around the bottom. The variety for this plant is "Big Boy." I became concerned the sun-heated patio and the exposed sides of the pots in lots and lots of...

View more questions Search