Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taralyng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
    What is the difference between wages payable and wage expense?
    I need to determine if Wages Payable and Wage Expense is Owner's Equity, Assets or Liability. Then I need to pick which they are each reported on: Statement of Owner's Equity, Income Statement, Balance Sheet or Balance Sheet and Statement of Owner's Equity. Problem is, I don't know what the difference between wages payable and wage expense is.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 09:25 PM

Wages Expense refers to the compensation earned by employees during the time indicated in the heading of the income statement. Under the accrual basis of accounting, the date wages are earned determines when the wages are reported as an expense. It does not matter when they are paid.

Those wages that have been earned but not yet paid are the Wages Payable. Wages Payable are the amounts due to employees for the work they have done but not yet been paid.

If it's still confusing, let me know and I'll give you an example.
    cc091 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 02:13 PM

What side increases and what side decreases for wage expense
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2011, 02:44 PM

Expense accounts have a normal Debit Balance.
    melissalynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
    To help you remember:
    Debits are AWEsome. That means DEBITS increase Assets, Withdrawals, and Expenses. Credits increase everything else. If you receive Cash, it's an Asset, so it goes into the Debit column. If you pay cash for anything, it goes in the credit column. If you rack up an Expense, it goes in the Debit column. So, if you have a wage for an employee that accrues over a break in statements, such as 4 days of pay in a 5 day week, you'd have 4 days of expense in the first time zone and 1 day of expense in the second time zone (in debit columns). You would also have 4 days of wages payable from the 4 days not yet paid. So on day 5 when you pay the worker, you would have the total amount paid as a Credit to Cash, then 4 days debit to wages payable and one day debit to wage expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between Notes Payable and Account Payable? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between Notes Payable and Account Payable? Just a question.

Is wage payable a accrued payable [ 1 Answers ]

Is wage payable a accrued payable

Accrued Wages Payable [ 4 Answers ]

On which statement would you find the account, "Accrued Wages Payable"?

What is the difference between wages and social security wages [ 1 Answers ]

If the amounts are different in box 1 and box 3 on the w2, which amount should I file for taxes?

Wages expense vs accrued wages expense or prepaid expense [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have this question which I'm stuck on Staff works a 14 day fortnight and are paid on the 15th day 15-Jun Staff Wages $1279 29-Jun Staff Wages $1279 So I drew up a timeline and figured out that staff will be paid on the 30th of jun, not 29th. Therefore, in this case, it means...

View more questions Search