Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questions for a friend Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Want to divorce after 1 year marriage, wife wants house
    A friend of mine married only 1 year ago, and now wants to divorce, but added his wife's name to the house ownership. How can he get out of the marriage and still maintain ownership of his house. The woman has not contributed to the mortgage financially or in any other way. And not currently work. He is also worried about having to pay alimony. The woman has a 14 year old son who she gets child support for from the father who sees the child occasionally. My friend wants to end all ties with this woman but is afraid to because he does not want to have to pay for his mistake for the rest of his life. He has two children and is already in financial strain
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Her name is on the mortgage. Deed, or whatever as part owner, she is half owner of the house. He will have to negotiate with her and her lawyers, as even though she may not have paid the costs, she is married to the person who did, and is part owner, and is therefore just as entitled to the house as he is. Also, since he married her, and they are divorcing, he will pretty likely have to pay alimony whether he wants to or not... that's how divorce works, and it sucks, but that's how the cookie crumbles.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Charlotte writes: "he will pretty likely have to pay alimony whether he wants to or not... that's how divorce works, and it sucks, but that's how the cookie crumbles."
    Not how divorce works, but how marriage works, like buying a 'lemon' over 60 months; you can't quit making payments until they are finished.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Well he really messed up adding her name to the deed. He will now have to buy her share of the home back. In court he may get the judge to set the amount but he will have to pay her to get full ownership of the house back.

As for allimony, maybe no since they were married such a short time
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:12 PM
    He will have to buy out her portion of the home since he put her name on the deed. The alimony is an iffy thing being married such a short time. She may get a token amount of alimony for a short period but it should not be a life long contribution on the husband's part.
    nomorebull11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
    This is not an answer, It is a question. What if he bought the house after they were married for a few months and her name was never put on the house and he could prove she never worked ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2011, 01:20 PM

It varies by State and circumstance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Wife Wants Divorce. [ 32 Answers ]

We have been married for 15 years with two kids (12 & 9). I have a good job and she has her own business. We both make good money (she makes more). There have been lot of ups and downs in our relationship but we always made up and forgave. Not this time. She said she has no feeling for me...

On H1 for 1.5 year.wife comes in 2008, but marriage in 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on H-1 since June 06. I got married on 30th Dec 07. And my wife came to USA on 1st Feb.'08. Can I claim her as dependent and ask for deductible? How should I file as file jointly or consider her as dependent?

Marriage or divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Married 14 years separated 2 I asked him to leave the home we have two children I use to be very over bearing would not compliment on anything always had something negative to say I have changed greatly I do want my husband back but I guess since I was so negative he doesn't believe me I have...

Marriage or divorce? [ 31 Answers ]

Just a little poll... When and why would divorce be OK with you? Easy way out or work through it? How much work is enough? I keep reading about so many people wanting to divorce. My parents were, my friends parents were. Isn't it high time we change the mood and set better examples for our...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

View more questions Search