Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Shower loses hot or cold water when other plumbing fixtures are used
    We live in a split-level house built in 1965; it has three residential levels plus a basement. Our bathrooms are on the upmost level, and the hot water heater is in the basement. The showers lose cold water whenever someone uses the kitchen sink, dishwasher, toilet, or bathroom sinks. The shower also loses hot water when hot water is turned on in any other fixtures. The problem does not appear to be related to the water heater, as we have recently replaced it (for other reasons). The plumbing and fixtures all seem to date from the original construction; we have changed only the shower heads to handheld models (separate hot and cold valves). Water pressure in the showers is not very strong either. Any thoughts? Thanks.

MTNC
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Unfortunately your problem will not be easy to fix. When the house was built the supply lines were put in leading to each fixture. The further away you get from the main and the water heater the lower the pressure gets. Most installations start stepping down the size of the piping as you get further from the source, this helps maintain the water pressure. It appears your shower may be at the end of the line and losses significant pressure when out fixtures are opened. Water flows the route of least resistance so the pressure goes to the lower fixtures. Re-piping the supply would be the ultimate solution but that may be out of the question for a 40 year old home. You should remove and inspect the shower head and supply lines to insure there is not accumulation of debris or restriction.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
    My 20 year old, two story house had the same problems. When a toilet is flushed, or a faucet opened, instant cold water loss. So I changed the old shower system to a pressure balanced one, and problem solved.

It may work for you also.

See Here for some info.

Feb 7, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Thank you very much. I will look into this.
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 11:42 PM
    If I will be solving this, I think I will pressure balance the system by looping it. It means I'm going to put a return pipe wher pressure would be balnce anywhere, I you can just pick up the last portion of the pipe and return it back to the source this is especially good if a booster pump is installed or a pressure tank. You can adjust the convenient pressure you want and the whole system will have the same pressure anywhere.have a good day everyone.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2007, 02:31 PM
    How old is your house and what material are the water pipes made of? Cheers, Tom

Feb 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Ok. Since our pipe goes through all the floor levels like a spine, looping means opening walls at every level, right? Or is there any less drastic way to get this done?

Feb 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Our house was built in 1965. The water pipes look like copper, but I am not sure.
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Not necessarily opening it from every level. The last portion of the topmost level, the endmost part. The design would look like a fire protection system, where it has the same pressure in all areas. This is only one point of view. There are many ways available, you only use the most convenient one. Ask for more advice. This is only my point of view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water shooting out from behind shower hot and cold valves [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn on the shower, water is not making it up to the shower head, rather spraying out from behind the knobs to turn the shower on? Is it just bad gaskets? How should I repair.

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Brown water from only hot fixtures [ 2 Answers ]

I have brown water coming out of all hot water (only) fixtures. Does anyone have any Idea what it is and then how to fix? Thanks Deane

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Hot water running cold in shower [ 6 Answers ]

We just had a new peerless tankless boiler put in our home. With the old boiler we had no problem with the hot water in the showers. However, when we replaced the shower controls I did have to make an adjustment on the pipes of the oil boiler. I turned a knob on one of the pipes that seemed to...

View more questions Search